Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here...purchased a used 2008 Rav4 4wd 2.4l few months ago. It has 160,000 miles on it and has been garage kept and well maintained with only 1 owner.
I freaking love this vehicle as it fits my lifestyle perfectly. I might add that this is my 1st Toyota and it seems pretty solid with the exception below.

I have searched these forums endlessly looking for a direction with what started as a very slight and random spark knock. It has continually gotten worse over time. I've looked for anything loose that may resemble the sound...everything's tight including the exhaust system. Only happens under a very light load when cruising and maintaining a low city speed (say 35 mph). I've seen others have this same problem, but never found a solution for any of them.
Below are the things I have tried:

1. New Spark Plugs.
2. Been using 87 gas. When I change to a higher octane it does seem to help for awhile anyways, but doesn't totally get rid of it.
3. Used Seafoam through a vacuum line (twice): no help
4. Scoped the top of the pistons. They had carbon on them so I soaked in Seafoam for 30 minutes. Didn't help, although I have to borrow the scope again to see how clean it actually got.
5. Dumped a can of SeaFoam into full tank of gas. Didn't help.

My next step and purpose of this post was to clean any carbon buildup in the EGR even though I am engine code-free. I cannot find the dang thing. I've searched online, been all over the engine, etc. If anyone has the same vehicle, could you post a picture or diagram where it is? Do they even have one? LOL.

Any other ideas?

Side Note: Recently I noticed my battery light was flickering only in the mornings for about 5 minutes during a 45 min. drive. Considering I just put a new Alternator in, I looked at the battery and noticed it had leaked or drained very little down the side. I'm getting a new one this weekend along with a different brand of spark plugs. Is there any possibility a weak/intermittent battery could be causing the ECU get get all crazy?

I'm completely stumped on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Has this engine had the work done noted in this TSB? http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf
These engines have been notable oil users unless the TSB modification has been done. If not, that could account for the carbon on the pistons which can develop hot spots and increased compression ratios and lead to engine knocking, although the chip computerized system should be able to adjust for that. But that compensation could be more difficult if the knocking is random.

Has the battery been load tested? As you suggest some owners have reported unexpected problems because of a weak battery. In any event since it is leaking it obviously will need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
If the TSB Blogson mentioned above has not been done you MUST check the oil once a week minimum depending on how much you drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if it was ever done. Ill look into it for sure though. Thanks for the link. Wonder what the price tag is on that one, lol. Just got it this year. It has 165,000 on it. I currently have to add around 1 to 1.5 qts full synthetic every 4500 miles. I put on 70 miles a day for work. Oil gets checked once a week and always changed on time. Decided to clean the throttle body, map sensor and replaced the pcv and air filter today, but will be getting the load tests done tomorrow. Any one heard/use BG 109?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
You can go to www.toyotaowners.com, register, enter your RAV's VIN, then go to the maintenance section, where there will be a list of all services, repairs, and work done by Toyota dealers. If the TSB work has been done it will show.

Since your RAV uses oil between changes it would seem that the TSB work hasn't been done. None of my Toyotas has used any measurable oil between changes. As RTexasF notes keeping a close eye on the oil level is essential especially if the TSB engine rebuild hasn't been taken care of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Blogson. I did just that and it doesn't show that it was ever done. Called Toyota today to get things rolling but they were extremely busy. Will try back in an hour. My concern is that I have approx. 165,000 miles on it. Will they even honor it?..I read it was covered up to 150,000.

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
My concern is that I have approx. 165,000 miles on it. Will they even honor it?..I read it was covered up to 150,000.
Your oil usage is well below the threshold for a free repair anyway. Their criteria is a quart every 600 miles I believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts