Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im wondering if anyone had the same issue. I had to replace a bad battery and bad alternator. But battery light is still on ! If I disconnect alternator while the car is on light goes off! Please help!!

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
As a first step suggest that you check whether the alternator is actually charging when it is connected if that has not been done already. With a voltage (VOM) meter set at 20V DC and the engine running at above idle speed and holding the leads on the battery cable ends where they connect with the battery the voltage should be high 13, near 14. If the voltage is much lower the alternator and/or its regulator likely is faulty.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hello Im wondering if anyone had the same issue. I had to replace a bad battery and bad alternator. But battery light is still on ! If I disconnect alternator while the car is on light goes off! Please help!!
Was the battery or alternator tested before being replaced? If not, perhaps there was nothing wrong with them. Could be a blown fuse.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You first need to check if you really do have a charging/battery problem, or if you are getting a false warning.

So first test if the alternator is working as described by Blogson in post #2. If it is working, then the cause of a false alarm could be because the small connector on the side of this device ( a current/temperature sensor) is not seated properly.

This earlier thread goes into a lot of depth on how to check the alternator for proper operation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts