Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing new snow tires for my Daughters car,should I go with the free front end alignment or $49 all wheel alignment ?
Didnt one of the recalls on this model make a 4 wheel alignment impossible ? I kind of remember something about it but not specifics ..... its going in tomorrow morning !

TIA

John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a link from the TSB section for the 2006-2012 models for the rear epoxy. I believe if it was done, the rear can't be aligned any more. Might be worth a read through just to double check!

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106...on-arms-safety-recall-csj-supplement-c0j.html
Thank you Josh !

thats what I was thinking !

Q1c: How will I have my alignment adjusted in the future?
A1c: During the remedy repair Toyota will set the rear alignment of your vehicle to the proper
specification. Future vehicle alignment adjustment and steering wheel centering will be
performed using the front wheel adjustments only. This is similar to many other vehicles. If the
rear wheel alignment shifts out of specification, rear suspension arms or other components
may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thank you Josh !

thats what I was thinking !

Q1c: How will I have my alignment adjusted in the future?
A1c: During the remedy repair Toyota will set the rear alignment of your vehicle to the proper
specification. Future vehicle alignment adjustment and steering wheel centering will be
performed using the front wheel adjustments only. This is similar to many other vehicles. If the
rear wheel alignment shifts out of specification, rear suspension arms or other components
may need to be replaced.
I have the same year and vehicle as you do... I had the crappy epoxy "fix" done also. Two years later I found out I needed a 4 wheel alignment after buying new tires. I had to purchase the adjustment arms from the dealership as they wouldn't replace them for me, even though I said that "they" made it impossible to adjust the rear wheels and now they needed to be adjusted. They were able to sell me the two arms for about $75 each on some sort of campaign warranty package. Buying them from the parts counter would have been double that price. I installed them myself and had the 4 wheel alignment done. I didn't use any more epoxy either.....
Best thing is to have them look at your vehicle and "if" it needs a 4 wheel alignment and the back arms aren't adjustable anymore, wait and get those arms changed asap.
Also.....I complained to toyota canada on their facebook page about having to buy the arms when toyota had epoxied them in place and was re-imbursed the cost and given a credit at the dealership. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same year and vehicle as you do... I had the crappy epoxy "fix" done also. Two years later I found out I needed a 4 wheel alignment after buying new tires. I had to purchase the adjustment arms from the dealership as they wouldn't replace them for me, even though I said that "they" made it impossible to adjust the rear wheels and now they needed to be adjusted. They were able to sell me the two arms for about $75 each on some sort of campaign warranty package. Buying them from the parts counter would have been double that price. I installed them myself and had the 4 wheel alignment done. I didn't use any more epoxy either.....
Best thing is to have them look at your vehicle and "if" it needs a 4 wheel alignment and the back arms aren't adjustable anymore, wait and get those arms changed asap.
Also.....I complained to toyota canada on their facebook page about having to buy the arms when toyota had epoxied them in place and was re-imbursed the cost and given a credit at the dealership. :)
That is something I have heard others have done...depends how mechanically inclined you are! Or how willing to watch youtube videos and learn!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Still no camber adjustment option (other than purchase of a 3rd party part). I had a shop remove the rear adjustment shells and epoxy from the suspension arms and do an alignment. Camber remains out of adjustment. According to Toyota the only option is part replacement. Not sure if that would work or not. RAv has 260K on it. The suspension must be tired..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts