Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. The aftermarket antenna in my 2008 rusted and snapped off. Bought a new antenna assembly. Couple of questions:

1: Inside the wheel well behind the fender panels is a 10mm bolt that holds the antenna assembly in place. I've tried to remove it with a ratchet and it just spins. Is there a bolt on the other side of that holder that I need to grip to remove the bolt or is it just corroded beyond removal?

2: The pigtail on the antenna assembly snakes through a hole into the passenger compartment behind the glovebox. I can see it. But then it snakes up behind some metal and then meets with the corresponding pigtail that goes to the back of the radio. It seems impossible to reach this connector. What do I need to remove to get at this? The entire upper dash panel? Does anyone have links to a good tutorial on removing this?

Thanks

S

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Try holding one end with a vise grip plier on the bottom of the antenna shaft and spray some penetrating oil on the bolt. Rusty bolts under the vehicle always makes it difficult to remove anything.

As for the wire for the antenna once you get that bolt off you still need to disconnect it from the radio which means taking the radio out. You need to take the radio and pull it out to reach the back of the antenna. Should be easy to remove the radio. Just go to youtube should be many video how to remove the radio. A trim removal tool would help to pop the trim off without damage and a 10 mm nut driver or socket with extension for the 4 bolts. Be careful not to drop the bolts inside the dash otherwise you may not find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try holding one end with a vise grip plier on the bottom of the antenna shaft and spray some penetrating oil on the bolt. Rusty bolts under the vehicle always makes it difficult to remove anything.
Thanks for your reply.
The other side of the bolt is tucked behind and you can't reach it without removing the entire fender. I think maybe I need to grind/cut off the bolt with a Dremel or tighten it until the bolt head snaps off... which would be challenging because the structure it's bolted to is "bendy".

As for the wire for the antenna once you get that bolt off you still need to disconnect it from the radio which means taking the radio out. You need to take the radio and pull it out to reach the back of the antenna. Should be easy to remove the radio. Just go to youtube should be many video how to remove the radio.
The OEM antenna cabling comes in two parts with connectors halfway between the radio and the antenna, so removal of the radio is not necessary. There is a wire with a connector attached to the radio... and there is a wire with a matching connector attached to the antenna assembly. These connectors meet under the passenger dash, approximately where the far right vent is. It's impossible to reach this connector to connect/disconnect by reaching up from within glove box cavity.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
You should be able to remove the fender lining to access the bolts under the antenna.

Once you remove the antenna at the back of the radio and antenna you can try to pull the entire wire from the fender end or radio end.

Also remove the glove box to see that allows you to get more access.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts