Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
Sadly my RAV's transmission has died. And repair it will cost me $6000 (at the dealer - I have not found a mechanic I can trust). So I've decided to either sell it as a whole for the best offer or start gutting it and sell the parts (which I think will be more profitable).
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Sounds like your dealer just doesn't want the job and is trying to price you out. Can't you find a used transmission at a yard somewhere? If not and you want to get rid of it, I'd sell it as-is, needs transmission. I'm sure someone will find a trans for it. Unless you have a lot of spare time and space, I wouldn't bother parting it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$800 is the offer I got for the car 'as-is'. The dealer said they could give me $1000 only if I trade it in. $1000 for a used Transmission+$1200 labor = $2200+tax to get it fixed and then maybe sell it for $4500.... so basically I'd be selling my precious car for only $2000. A dark.. very dark day for me.

Thanks for the advice @ravenuer

·
Super Moderator
11,161 Posts
Four cylinder, six cylinder? Four speed? Five Speed? A V-6 with a used/reman transmission would sell/trade for considerably more.

$6000 for a transmission is absolute robbery.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I think once you get the transmission fixed why sell it right away? Keep driving it for a year or two. The depreciation on a 2008 will not go down that much every year.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
$6000 for a transmission? Your dealer must be counting on you to make his mortgage payment for his villa on the French Riviera!

·
Registered
443 Posts
We need details about the car. Motor, trans, miles... I might even be interested in buying it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts