Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has successfully lost all but the big gray valet key for our 2008 RAV ltd V6 etc.

I do have the key number that came with the car when we purchased it new. Dealer wants like $400 for a new key. One!

I had a hardware store dupe the valet key on a blank key. It spins the engine but will not start it. Valet key starts it.

What are my options? Ideally I'd like to have two or three NEW keys and the valet. Is this a dealer only situation and if so is there a dealer anywhere who will do this cheaper and via phone?

Suggestions?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
If you have a master key you can program another key with Techstream and a mini vci cable. The valet key is unfortunately not a master key. The valet key can start the car since it has a chip the car recognizes. You can't start the car without a program chip in the key like a blank key. You can get a specialize locksmith to clone the valet key. As you know a valet key can start the car but will not have wireless locking and unlocking functions. The other option is go to the dealer to have a master key made. After the dealer makes this key you can program more keys yourself since this is a master key.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Remember too that the glove box lock can only function with a master key, not the valet.

If you have the original code for the keys, can a locksmith access the information to create a new master for you? When I worked at a Ford dealer (10 years ago) they took the code and each number corresponded to a depth setting on a punch jig. The parts guy would then use the punch jig to “Nibble” chunks out of the new blank master.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Remember too that the glove box lock can only function with a master key, not the valet.

If you have the original code for the keys, can a locksmith access the information to create a new master for you? When I worked at a Ford dealer (10 years ago) they took the code and each number corresponded to a depth setting on a punch jig. The parts guy would then use the punch jig to “Nibble” chunks out of the new blank master.
The key code is just the physical key cutting part but the master key has a chip that knows it is the master key in the ECU. The dealer will have on their system the key code if they program and cut a new master key.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The code for the key is just the physical key but the master key has a chip that knows it is the master key in the ECU.
Yup, and the PATS (or similar name) requires all keys to be programmed. The integrated remote is part of being a master too. In this case I was referring only to cutting the physical master, as it has additional teeth, compared to the valet. This info may be proprietary to Toyota, as I recall it was very closely held at Ford.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, can I find some used 2008 Toyota master keys on ebay or salvage yard etc ... and use their FCC ID CHIP etc to create/program a new set of remotes for this vehicle? I don't have any original or otherwise master keys at all.

Dealer says best deal he can give me is $319 for one new programmed master key (with functioning buttons).

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Well, can I find some used 2008 Toyota master keys on ebay or salvage yard etc ... and use their FCC ID CHIP etc to create/program a new set of remotes for this vehicle? I don't have any original or otherwise master keys at all.

Dealer says best deal he can give me is $319 for one new programmed master key (with functioning buttons).
You can't use another master key from another car to program because the computer (ECU) programs all the keys that it allows it to bypass the immobiliser.

Call some specialty locksmith they can do a immobiliser code reset using a pass code so they can create new master keys for you. A master key is not required. This may be cheaper than the dealer. Here is a Youtube that did the same thing for one person who only had a metal key.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts

A lot of good information in this thread:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts