Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with info on where I can buy a complete strut assembly from? Rockauto only has one side in and doesn't know when they will get the other side. This means the strut/coil spring and mount assembly. Not just the strut and then I have to piece the rest of it together and spend $200 a piece.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The problem with these complete assembly struts is that the quality is not there...I have purchased them before and they have let me down...you might try eBay, but I wouldn't trust that stuff at all...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response. The only reason I am posting is because the guy doinf my struts told me it is cheaper labor wise to put the whole assembly in than a "strut" to find out that the chattering noise isn't foxed because your mount it bad. And the bouncing wasn't totally fixed because your springs are wearing. He suggested the whole damned thing because eventhough the part is a lot more than just the strut it saves on labor and all but eliminates anything "strut"related. Now that you have mentioned it I have only seend one setup from Rockauto with no brand name and another site with an off brand name complete strut assembly. They are all infortunately in cahoots with each other to make money by not offering name brand full assemblies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you're concerned just buy all parts and put them together. If you're concerned about the coil springs, just remove the assembly and take them and you're new coil springs to a local shop. They'll put them together for probably less than $50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a little lost when you said to take out the old coil and take that with the new one to a local shop. What would they do?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Unless your current coils are rusty or broken I would keep them...it will be a little more in labor, but you will have a better quality strut...also the bouncing is caused by bad struts and not bad springs...I would also take your rav for a second opinion if your current mechanic isn't totally sure about the problem...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Rockauto seems to have a sketchy website. They list the right side under Strut/Coil/Mount Assembly. (FCS 1331622R) but not the left side. But if you do a part search you will find the left side which is FCS133162L. They have 4 left when I added to my cart so I am not sure why they say there are none left?

Never heard of this FCS brand but the reviews on Amazon for their other struts looks good. If you do get this let us know how it performs.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I bought those fcs quick struts for an accord years ago...they were crap...never again will I buy cheap suspension parts...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts