Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, are the front brake rotors the same for the v6 and 4 cylinder models? I need a replacement set and I found a decent looking set of Brembo rotors and pads on eBay. In the description it's listed as only fitting the 4 cylinder model, however, from some research I've done it looks like they should be exactly the same?

link to the brake kit:

If anyone knows for sure please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi, are the front brake rotors the same for the v6 and 4 cylinder models? I need a replacement set and I found a decent looking set of Brembo rotors and pads on eBay. In the description it's listed as only fitting the 4 cylinder model, however, from some research I've done it looks like they should be exactly the same?

link to the brake kit:

If anyone knows for sure please let me know. Thank you.
These will not fit a V6 RAV4.

The V6 shares its brake parts with the Vibe GT and Matrix XRS among others. But the key piece here is that the rotors are about 1” larger in diameter. This means that the Pads, Calipers, and Rotors are different between the garden variety V6 and 4-cyl models. The exception being the 3-row 4-cyl as it carries the larger brakes of the V6.

Don’t buy this kit as they will not for your V6 RAV4.

I just went through all this a month ago, to upgrade my little 4-cyl front brakes to V6 spec. Please note that all North American models of the 4.3 use the same size rear pads, rotors, and calipers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These will not fit a V6 RAV4.

The V6 shares its brake parts with the Vibe GT and Matrix XRS among others. But the key piece here is that the rotors are about 1” larger in diameter. This means that the Pads, Calipers, and Rotors are different between the garden variety V6 and 4-cyl models. The exception being the 3-row 4-cyl as it carries the larger brakes of the V6.

Don’t buy this kit as they will not for your V6 RAV4.

I just went through all this a month ago, to upgrade my little 4-cyl front brakes to V6 spec. Please note that all North American models of the 4.3 use the same size rear pads, rotors, and calipers.
Ah that explains why it says will not fit 3rd-row models. Do you have any decent kits to recommend? I don't want to buy some off-brand rotors that will start shaking in 5k miles.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ah that explains why it says will not fit 3rd-row models. Do you have any decent kits to recommend? I don't want to buy some off-brand rotors that will start shaking in 5k miles.
Lots of members have had good results with Akebono pads which are apparently OEM for our trucks. In my case I was lucky enough to find someone who had bought a full set of pads and rotors for a V6, but ended up selling it before installing the brakes. Got pads and rotors for all four wheels, new in box, for $175 CDN. I ordered my calipers from RockAuto, as parts prices north of the border are @&$€£ moronic. And, I didn’t have cores to go back, which added to my cost.

In my case I ended up with PowerStop pads and rotors, and so far so good. There was some noise while they bedded in, but it’s silent now. I got the Z16 pads (PS has varying levels of performance, these are entry level). I’m happy with them. I would suggest you think about changing your brake fluid too, mine is 2012, and I noticed a difference in pedal feel after bleeding all four brakes out.

OE replacement pads for our trucks are ceramic, meaning low dust and decent performance. We have metallic on our Golf, and despite the dust and my white RAV, I’d consider metallics for the RAV next time - the braking is outstanding and I understand that’s a chief difference between ceramic or metallic pads.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 203k miles
54 Posts
I have akebono pads and the current set was installed 7 years 80000 milesago (2012). Last time I check they probably can last at least one more year. Brake dust is minimal and very easy on the rotors. However It doesn’t stop the car as well as some other pads. I probably will try some other brand next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts