Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks -
Anyone else out there need a brand new transmission?
I had 101xxx miles on my RAV and the shifting from P to R came with a thud and it rocked the RAV a bit.
Scary.
At first, the mechanic thought it was the computer, but after testing realized that it was the transmission itself.
He felt bad for me - because, as he said, "it's a really nice car." (but after thinking about that... a broken trans at 101K, how nice is that?)
Anyway - did this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
What happened after the "thud?" Did the transmission work at all after that? If the transmission has something which is not working properly can that part or parts be replaced, rather than having to use a new transmission? Also, if the transmission isn't repairable, getting one which has been rebuilt by a competent shop or Toyota probably would be less expensive than a new one.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Hey Folks -
Anyone else out there need a brand new transmission?
I had 101xxx miles on my RAV and the shifting from P to R came with a thud and it rocked the RAV a bit.
Scary.
At first, the mechanic thought it was the computer, but after testing realized that it was the transmission itself.
He felt bad for me - because, as he said, "it's a really nice car." (but after thinking about that... a broken trans at 101K, how nice is that?)
Anyway - did this happen to anyone else?
Has anyone checked the level and condition of the transmission fluid? It might be worth a fluid change and see what happens. 101k isn't a lot of miles anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - The three different places I took it to all agreed that it needed to be replaced.
I ended up with three options: new (which is never a brand new), a tranny pulled from another car, or re-build my current one.
I ended up getting one from another car - and was told it was kind of a fluke.
It burned a little bit. this was the first automatic car I'd had in 15 years. :(

Anyway - just wondering if anyone else's went out that quickly.
I read a few posts here about changing fluid at 30k ... I think I'll do that on this one.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I ended up getting one from another car - and was told it was kind of a fluke.
It burned a little bit. this was the first automatic car I'd had in 15 years. :(
Hopefully the replacement trans will be trouble-free. What do "it was told it was kind of a fluke." and "It burned a little bit." mean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts