Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a 2008 4WD V6 5 speed automatic transmission with about 100K miles but noticed that it has a slight drive line or transmission whine so did some reading here about it. For those who haven't replaced the transmission has anything helped to reduce the noise such as a different fluid, replacing transaxle mounts, etc ? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
A "slight" whine? I'd venture to say they all have that, at least at certain speeds, since they aren't a Lexus. Constant at usual speeds and distractingly annoying - that's a problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred haven't driven this Rav much yet but the whine seemed to at slow speed, didn't hear it above 30 mph. Have you continued with Toyota WS fluid in your Rav or changed to another brand.

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
Thanks Fred haven't driven this Rav much yet but the whine seemed to at slow speed, didn't hear it above 30 mph. Have you continued with Toyota WS fluid in your Rav or changed to another brand.
I'd say that's a very slight whine and is normal. At 125K I haven't done anything with the fluid.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even a Lexus can have a noisey transmission. My LX 470 did but with the better sound deadening, it was less noticeable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine does it too from 40-55 mph, it's unnoticeable to me above 55. Mind is same model with 114 K.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I have a whine around 50 to 60 km/hr and the dealer could not find out what the problem was. They noticed there was a new differential seal at the back which I noticed on the service history also (done by previous owner). The service advisor say they usually find a leak at the differential but he has not replaced any when someone complains about the whine noise yet.

I may have to wait until there is leak ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for responses to the transaxle noise question, had some time to drive this Rav to highway speed and focus on the noise. Some level of whining is noticeable through all gears from just rolling to about 60 mph. From further reading it sounds like the whine repair is replacement of transaxle ring and pinion gears and bearings and then setup, following Toyota Oz thread has some repair part numbers. Other threads mention that the 2012 came with modified or honed transaxle gears and don't have the driveline whine of previous V6 4.3's.

RAV4 V6 whining noise @ 40 - 70 km/h - Rav 4 - Toyota Owners Club - Australia

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Other threads mention that the 2012 came with modified or honed transaxle gears and don't have the driveline whine of previous V6 4.3's.
I had not heard this before, and would be VERY interested, and appreciative, to know exactly where you read this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had not heard this before, and would be VERY interested, and appreciative, to know exactly where you read this. Thanks.
Fairly sure I read the specific comment about reduced, modified or honed transaxle gears or final gears in 2012 V6 5 speed automatic transmissions in the following massive thread, I started from last page 117 and worked my way backward through postings don't recall on which page I saw it. Other threads have stated that the 2012 is the best of the 4.3 model years to purchase as all the bugs have been worked out compared to previous years. Driveline noise seems like a fairly big bug in these.

Another way to confirm if your 2012 Rav has a modified ring and pinion gear set if in fact it does, would be having a Toyota dealership parts desk guy check for the part number for your VIN and then check a previous year VIN to see what number comes up, should be different.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/75633-whining-noise-40-50-mph-solved-updated-8-26-10-tsb-out.html

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts