Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased 10 days ago a 2008 RAV4 base model with 132k miles from a big GMC dealer. I brought it into my local Toyota dealer last night for a complete check out and possible brake work. This morning I get the call that the transmission is jumping out of gear when loaded in reverse (not noticed under light load) and needs to be replaced. Besides some gear noise and a little clunk when shifting to reverse I had noticed nothing. Although I do believe their diagnosis it will run about $5900 to replace.

Questions:
Does the RAV4 have a common transmission problem like this?
Does Toyota stand behind this issue?
Any recommendations?

Depressed, Scott

·
Registered
428 Posts
I do not understand "does Toyota stand behind this issue".

The car is 9 years old with 138K, clearly well beyond any manufacturer warranty.

I would just drive the car as is since reverse "under load" is not a typical occurrence driving.

Sorry about the bad luck, but this may not be as bad as it sounds.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Did the "Big GMC" dealer offer any kind of warranty? Even the smallest used car dealers here offer a 30-day warranty on cars they sell. Seems like the "Big GMC" dealer should be responsible for any repairs on a car they sold 10 days before.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Suggest that you pick up your RAV without authorizing any gearbox repair and test it yourself in reverse under load. What is the "load" which the Toyota dealer claims leads to the supposed problem? It for example it's two tons of sacked concrete that obviously exceeds the vehicle's posted weight capacity and the gearbox may well protest at moving that sort of load in reverse gear. There have been many reports of Toyota dealers attempting to increase their financial bottom lines at the expense of owner.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Suggest that you pick up your RAV without authorizing any gearbox repair and test it yourself in reverse under load. What is the "load" which the Toyota dealer claims leads to the supposed problem? It for example it's two tons of sacked concrete that obviously exceeds the vehicle's posted weight capacity and the gearbox may well protest at moving that sort of load in reverse gear. There have been many reports of Toyota dealers attempting to increase their financial bottom lines at the expense of owner.
Obviously can't speak for the OP, but I took it to mean putting it in reverse and "loading" it by stepping on the gas and the brake at the same time.
I'd definitely do as JB says and take this baby right back to the GMC dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts