Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brakes on my rav4 will not disengage all the way. They heat up and I have to stop and let them cool off. I've changed the master cylinder, calipers and the lines that connect to the calipers, rotors, pads, and brake fluid. I have ABS and skid lights that comes on. Any ideas?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I checked the PDF file and didn't find these codes: ABS 46, 4WD 83 and 94, TRAC 43. Also had a CEL 42 and a steering wheel light with a 42? Do you know what these codes mean?
OK, ABS 46 is:

Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor Malfunction.
Possible causes:
Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor
Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor circuit
Stop light switch circuit
ABS and TRACTION actuator

AWD 83 is:

Lost Communication with Brake System Control Module.
Possible causes:
Wire harness (CANH, CANL circuit)
-4WD control ECU
-Skid control ECU

AWD 94 is:

Low Power Supply Voltage.
Possible causes:
-Battery
-generator
-ECU-IG1
-Wire harness
-4WD control ECU

EPS (Electric Power Steering) 42 is:

Skid control ECU communication error.

TRAC 43 is:

Acceleration Sensor Stuck Malfunction.
Possible causes:
- Yaw rate sensor
- Yaw rate sensor circuit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I was doing some testing on my brake pressure problem and I removed the ABS 1, ABS 2, and Brake fuses. The problem is still happening. The front brakes will not release the brake pressure. I went ahead and ordered a ABS/trac control module. Hopefully that will fix it. I'm not getting any codes unless the brakes heat up so much they glow. Then ABS 46 and SKID 43 codes pop up.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Ok I was doing some testing on my brake pressure problem and I removed the ABS 1, ABS 2, and Brake fuses. The problem is still happening. The front brakes will not release the brake pressure. I went ahead and ordered a ABS/trac control module. Hopefully that will fix it. I'm not getting any codes unless the brakes heat up so much they glow. Then ABS 46 and SKID 43 codes pop up.
If the brakes got hot enough to glow, I'd certainly consider changing the pads out, after the problem is fixed of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, it seems that the inside connecting rod for the brake booster needed to be adjusted shorter. Seems to run great now. Need to measure the master cylinder side to make sure it's still in adjustment.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
You need to get the codes from the brake system ECU by following the jumper method described here:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/85765-check-engine-light-vsc-4wd-lights-explained.html
Ok, it seems that the inside connecting rod for the brake booster needed to be adjusted shorter. Seems to run great now. Need to measure the master cylinder side to make sure it's still in adjustment.

Good that you were able to identify the cause and hopefully solve the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts