Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all.

I feel like I've made a great deal of progress thanks to the various resources and insights by the members here. Thank you all for contributing!

I have found and documented everything in the three main harnesses on the base model, non-JBL sound system radio wiring. Unfortunately, there are two leads/pins that are elusive on the available wiring documentation, so I was hoping someone could fill-in the blanks.

Per the Toyota wiring diagram (thanks JuneBug), the three harnesses that attach to the factory radio are:

A) Toyota Connector E47 10-pin (white) - Front speakers, Power, Antenna
B) Toyota Connector E48 6-pin (white) - Rear speakers
H) Toyota Connector E88 20-pin (blue) - Steering Wheel Controls (SWC), Speed Sensor, AUX Audio Jack

The letter designations (A, B, and H) are per the Toyota Wiring Diagram for purposes of discussion. For example, A1 would mean "Connector A, Pin 1." The abbreviations in the chart below are the labels as presented in the Toyota Wiring Diagrams (as referenced in JuneBug's profile).

In my 2009 RAV4 Base L4 with Standard Audio System (non-JBL), here are the pin-outs as I've confirmed in my vehicle:

I am missing the data for the A10 and B5 pins. I have confirmed (via testing) that A10 is the Illumination lead (voltage sent when headlamps are activated). This confirms there is not a Dimmer lead in the Toyota radio harness. This may be used for "night" settings on the head unit. I have also confirmed the B5 lead is another chassis ground (tested via Ohm meter).

Neither the A10 or B5 pin appears on the Toyota wiring diagrams. Thus, I cannot definitively indicate the drawing abbreviation for either pin as I've done with the others in the chart. Any help finding another reference to confirm these on a factory diagram would be greatly appreciated.

I will update the above chart in this post until it's complete. I will, further, amend this chart to provide the equivalent Metra harness cabling for everyone's future reference when splicing for aftermarket radios. Further diagrams and drawings will be included in throughout the thread below.

As always, any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

- Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Connector Illustrations for 2009 Base Audio System (non-JBL)

Here are the connectors. They are from the perspective of the pin or mating end of the connector (looking into the pins or holes).

Front Speakers, Power (Battery & ACC), PWR Antenna

Rear Speakers

Console Audio Input (AUX) and Steering Wheel Controls (SWC)

·
Registered
116 Posts
E47 pin 10 is the illumination wire.

I'm pretty sure that the brown wire on E48 pin 5 is ground, but not 100%. Maybe 97% sure. :)

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,450 Posts
Thanks, metaldave, this is now a sticky thread!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steering Wheel Control Wiring

I wanted to make a note regarding the wiring indicated in the E88 20-pin Connector chart includes the Steering Wheel Control (SWC) leads. This is, indeed, a modification from the base model wiring for the standard audio system and not included from the factory without an audio system upgrade.

I wanted to upgrade my SWC from the basic "Display" button to a full set of Radio and Bluetooth control buttons. The button panels on either side of the steering wheel were fairly easy to swap-out with salvage parts, but functionality required three additional leads to be run from the steering wheel console Spindle Wiring Connector to the E88 20-pin connector in the rear of the radio compartment (as indicated in the chart above).

These pins can then be used with after market radios by using a harness and interfaces such as the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 (which I used).

All the gory details on this can be found in the "2009 RAV4 Base: Steering wheel audio controls?" thread. The folks there have been invaluable with their input, and I will plan to post my photo gallery and findings with my successful project in the near future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is on the pin 10 (black illumination wire) where I have to connect the orange wire from my Head Unit ? I didn't connect it since the metra wiring harness didn't have the same orange wire. My stereo changes the color when I turn on or off my head lights ( I can set what colors I want when the lights are on or off) but the screen doesn't dimm .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thing is i upgraded my japanese rav4 stereo with usa 2009 6 cds radio. Everything works find after plug and play procedure. Except the illumination. When i turn on my lights radio turns the display light off and no lights on the radio turns on. So i need to know how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,450 Posts
Thing is i upgraded my japanese rav4 stereo with usa 2009 6 cds radio. Everything works find after plug and play procedure. Except the illumination. When i turn on my lights radio turns the display light off and no lights on the radio turns on. So i need to know how to fix this. Thanks in advance.
I would use a voltmeter to determine which wire is active when the headlights are on, then cut it or remove it from the plug. Then your stereo display will always be lit when the ignition is on.

The Japanese RAV4 must have the signal inverted from the US version. I replaced my 2008 stereo head unit with a 2011 6-disc changer and the lighted display works fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. Is a good idea. My display is on on day time. It turns off the light when i turn on my lights. In despite of this my biggest concern is that i can't see the stereo buttons at night. Everything else works fine even SWC. Good morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out this illumination issue? I have the same problem with a 2012 non jbl. Green wire is illumination, gets power when the headlights come on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue - would be great to get the photos fixed as I am planning to install an aftermarket stereo into my Rav soon

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue - would be great to get the photos fixed as I am planning to install an aftermarket stereo into my Rav soon
I managed to find a web archive that contained the original photos. See edited quote of original post below:

Hi, all.

I feel like I've made a great deal of progress thanks to the various resources and insights by the members here. Thank you all for contributing!

I have found and documented everything in the three main harnesses on the base model, non-JBL sound system radio wiring. Unfortunately, there are two leads/pins that are elusive on the available wiring documentation, so I was hoping someone could fill-in the blanks.

Per the Toyota wiring diagram (thanks JuneBug), the three harnesses that attach to the factory radio are:

A) Toyota Connector E47 10-pin (white) - Front speakers, Power, Antenna
B) Toyota Connector E48 6-pin (white) - Rear speakers
H) Toyota Connector E88 20-pin (blue) - Steering Wheel Controls (SWC), Speed Sensor, AUX Audio Jack

The letter designations (A, B, and H) are per the Toyota Wiring Diagram for purposes of discussion. For example, A1 would mean "Connector A, Pin 1." The abbreviations in the chart below are the labels as presented in the Toyota Wiring Diagrams (as referenced in JuneBug's profile).

In my 2009 RAV4 Base L4 with Standard Audio System (non-JBL), here are the pin-outs as I've confirmed in my vehicle:

I am missing the data for the A10 and B5 pins. I have confirmed (via testing) that A10 is the Illumination lead (voltage sent when headlamps are activated). This confirms there is not a Dimmer lead in the Toyota radio harness. This may be used for "night" settings on the head unit. I have also confirmed the B5 lead is another chassis ground (tested via Ohm meter).

Neither the A10 or B5 pin appears on the Toyota wiring diagrams. Thus, I cannot definitively indicate the drawing abbreviation for either pin as I've done with the others in the chart. Any help finding another reference to confirm these on a factory diagram would be greatly appreciated.

I will update the above chart in this post until it's complete. I will, further, amend this chart to provide the equivalent Metra harness cabling for everyone's future reference when splicing for aftermarket radios. Further diagrams and drawings will be included in throughout the thread below.

As always, any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

- Dave
Here are the connectors. They are from the perspective of the pin or mating end of the connector (looking into the pins or holes).

Front Speakers, Power (Battery & ACC), PWR Antenna

Rear Speakers

Console Audio Input (AUX) and Steering Wheel Controls (SWC)
Credit to metaldave for the original images.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts