Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Hoping I might get some help here. The wife's 09 Rav4 has been running great. She returned home yesterday after 1hr of highway driving, no issues at all. This morning it will not turn over. Battery tests fine on DMM, it cranks, but just shuts off after 4-5 seconds of cranking with keyless start. I scanned for codes and thought I would have a quick answer, but nothing comes up. Really stumped on this one.

I did a search and caught something about trying different keys and jiggling with the gearshift as it might be a theft/safety intermittent connection with keyless iginition, but no results.

Any insight is appreciated!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
Have you tried putting the smart key fob up against the push button until the light turns green and then pushing it? Is the steering wheel in a bind? Is the security light flashing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried putting the smart key fob up against the push button until the light turns green and then pushing it? Is the steering wheel in a bind? Is the security light flashing?
Thx for the reply. I will try the smart key fob approach. Steering wheel moves. No security light flashing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction, security light was/is flashing. Steering wheel does not seem to lock when in park like other vehicles. Do Rav4s wheels lock?

I checked all 3 fuse panels (2 under hood and 1 under steering wheel) and nothing on the window type fuses are blown. Do relays tend to go on these? I had a 4 runner that wouldn't turn over that ended up needing a relay. Really wish an engine code would come up, but everything is still clear.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
There is no engine code because there is no engine problem. I'm not all that familiar with the smart key system, but the security light should be flashing until a recognized smart key is sensed in the area, then the light should go out. The vehicle will crank, but not start if it can't sense a key it recognizes. The steering wheel is locked by a little motor or solenoid--if that has failed, it could be the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the security light recognizes the keys, as the smart key unlocks the vehicle when I approach it with fob in pocket.

Are there any links or threads about the steering wheel solenoid issue? Thx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts