Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day our son, decided to have a temper tantrum with the wife and proceed to grab the parking break and reef up on it as hard as he could. There was a snap and now the passenger side emergency break isn't in working and I'm assuming is stuck (I had a hell of a tome removing the rotor. I removed the breaks and confirmed that the passenger side is not moving when the ebrake is pulled.

So with out a proper factory Service Manual I'm trying to figure out how to remove the center console and access the hand/Emergency break to inspect for a broken cable which I'm assuming occurred when he reefer uo in the handle, and that would explain why the handle has some serious play/wiggle room.

hope someone can help shed some light on how this center console gets removed from the vehicle so i can access the Emergency handle.

Also if anyone had a PDF File or a link for a download of Factory Service Manual or a repair manual for a 2009 Toyota Rav 4 that would be greatly appreciated for this home mechanic on a tight budget.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ng-parking-brake-removing-center-console.html

If you get under the car I think you can see the brake cable running the length of the under carrige. In several spots the cable is outside of the housing. You should be able to see if the cable is totally slacked or not.

There is a single cable that comes from the hand lever, then goes to a "splitter cam", which activates the right and left. If one side is working and the other side is not, maybe the end came off this cam.

Does your rotors have the extra threaded holes in them. Those are so that you can insert a bolt and press the rotor off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ng-parking-brake-removing-center-console.html

If you get under the car I think you can see the brake cable running the length of the under carrige. In several spots the cable is outside of the housing. You should be able to see if the cable is totally slacked or not.

There is a single cable that comes from the hand lever, then goes to a "splitter cam", which activates the right and left. If one side is working and the other side is not, maybe the end came off this cam.

Does your rotors have the extra threaded holes in them. Those are so that you can insert a bolt and press the rotor off.
Thank you kindly for the help! I'll read over that link you posted up right now and put some work in the ship later this evening.

The rear Rotors did have the holes in them.. funny thing is the driver side popped off no problem, and the Passenger side was really stuck. But was able to give it a Couple smacks with a rubber mallet and get it off. I'll have to remember the extra holes to use a bolt to lush the rotors off for next time I pull them.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
DO smack your son upside the head. That was uncalled for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DO smack your son upside the head. That was uncalled for.
He suffers from ODD and is my step son. He was abused by his father and was taken away from his father by social services, we now have full costody of him and and actively working on his behavior which has improved 100% from when he was taken from his biological father. So the Smacking thing won't work as he was severely abused b4 he came to live with us. He ended up spending 2 years living in a group home for children that have suffered emotional and physical abuse. I'm hoping having him know the damage he caused and the money that we have spent to fix this vehicle could gave gone to other things for our family

Let just hope I can get this car put back together and running in a quick time period. We recently did the Water Pump on this V6 Rav4 ourself and it was running beautiful again for 1 day until that happened.

This last week I just finished changing out a heater core in our 00 Grand Cherokee and that was a big gig involved rolling the dash out to access and pull the HVAC Box. So at least we have one running vehicle. Having a factory service manual helps make these jobs simpler. Lucky to have decent Factory Service Manuals for the Jeep we have.

These Rav 4's have very little information avaliable compare to jeeps so it makes repairs a little more tricky for the home mechanic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after inspecting all the components looks like this is the cause of the loose parking break system. The connection seems to be stretched and twisted. It's the section of brake cable b4 it reaches the splitter. Anyone gave a name or part number for this section of cable?

I've been able to loosen up both sides of the emergency brakes and have them both functioning again. So I'm hoping changing this section of cable will be a quick temporary fix.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
He suffers from ODD and is my step son. He was abused by his father and was taken away from his father by social services, we now have full costody of him and and actively working on his behavior which has improved 100% from when he was taken from his biological father. So the Smacking thing won't work as he was severely abused b4 he came to live with us. He ended up spending 2 years living in a group home for children that have suffered emotional and physical abuse. I'm hoping having him know the damage he caused and the money that we have spent to fix this vehicle could gave gone to other things for our family

You deserve having a huge gold star and a lot more for taking on the responsibility for caring for your step son! And good luck in sorting out the parking brake problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
I offer you my apologies for being unintentionally inconsiderate. I meant it more as comedy relief.... not trying to be a cad. You are a true Dad to him and I applaud you, that's a lot to take on.

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the front cable that connects the hand brake to the Equilizer/Splitter. I've been having a hell of a time sourcing the part. no parts stores carry that section of brake cable. We did contact Toyota and they have to special order it from the US and we are looking at a 10-15 day wait period and a cost of $115 for the foot of cable.... this seems excessive as the rear brake lines are $72.99 (rear left) & $49 99 for the (Rear right ).

I know manufactures use parts on multiple vehicles would anyone have any idea what other toyota or other makes would use a cable the same as the Rav 4. I've tracked down 2 98 Rav 4 in a local pick snd pull wrecker and wondering if they might be the same setup as the 09 rav 4.... would really like to get this car back on the road and at this point I might have to just leave the emergency brakes disconnected until the part arrives :( which is not what I'd like to do.

Other wreckers don't bother with those parts when wrecking so they told me it's a Toyota special order part.
I offer you my apologies for being unintentionally inconsiderate. I meant it more as comedy relief.... not trying to be a cad. You are a true Dad to him and I applaud you, that's a lot to take on.

Rick
No need to apologize at all. I have no worries about a smack to smarten a child up, but in his case the abuse he suffers that's just not an option with him. This is all in the past now and we are moving forward as a family to better places with fewer hiccups like the emergency break cable.
You deserve having a huge gold star and a lot more for taking on the responsibility for caring for your step son! And good luck in sorting out the parking brake problem.
Thank you kindly I've raised his sister since she was 4 and she's now going on 11 and we have had him living back with us full time for going on 2 years now. And he's made huge progress. From where he was 4 years ago! We get the odd hiccup but I was no angel as a kid either. So just try our best to teach him right from wrong and better ways to deal with his frustration and anger.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Let just hope I can get this car put back together and running in a quick time period. We recently did the Water Pump on this V6 Rav4 ourself and it was running beautiful again for 1 day until that happened.

This last week I just finished changing out a heater core in our 00 Grand Cherokee and that was a big gig involved rolling the dash out to access and pull the HVAC Box. So at least we have one running vehicle. Having a factory service manual helps make these jobs simpler. Lucky to have decent Factory Service Manuals for the Jeep we have.

These Rav 4's have very little information avaliable compare to jeeps so it makes repairs a little more tricky for the home mechanic.

That is some heavy ****. I commend you. Being a father myself, I can empathizes; and I have 2 relatively well behaved children.
One thing that my neighbor did that I observed to work well with his son, is he had his son fix what he broke, car wise. Seemed to really teach him not only responsibility for his actions but skill and resulted in pride in his accomplishment.

as far as parts go a quick ebay search returns quite a few.
rav4 ebrake cable | eBay
In fact they list autozone parts. This would be an item that I would feel comfortable getting from Oreily/napa... Even used. Though often frowned upon, I find that my local OReilys to be a very good source of info and parts. I love the fact that they can get parts same day if you "order" them in the morning, and no shipping cost.

Lastly, unless your wife's commute involves parking on steep hills, this is at least something that one can live without for a couple of days. I am sure you realize this and have been going without for a couple of days already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is some heavy ****. I commend you. Being a father myself, I can empathizes; and I have 2 relatively well behaved children.
One thing that my neighbor did that I observed to work well with his son, is he had his son fix what he broke, car wise. Seemed to really teach him not only responsibility for his actions but skill and resulted in pride in his accomplishment.

as far as parts go a quick ebay search returns quite a few.
rav4 ebrake cable | eBay
In fact they list autozone parts. This would be an item that I would feel comfortable getting from Oreily/napa... Even used. Though often frowned upon, I find that my local OReilys to be a very good source of info and parts. I love the fact that they can get parts same day if you "order" them in the morning, and no shipping cost.

Lastly, unless your wife's commute involves parking on steep hills, this is at least something that one can live without for a couple of days. I am sure you realize this and have been going without for a couple of days already.
Thanks for that link, after reading the part seems they are used on Toyota Paseo Tercel Rav4, so I'm thinking I should be able to snag a used one from a pick and pull wrecker. I'll swing by on my way home from work and have a look at the local pick and pull wrecker.

I've called every part store here in my provance in Canada and none of them stock or can order that brake cable for some reason.

I don't feel comfortable letting the wife drive the vehicle with a non functioning Emergency brake especially since she has the kids and is 7 months pregnant. I've given her the Grand Cherokee for daily duties and I've taken our summer toy for work duty a 98 TJ on 37's. Just has limited heat as the heater core needs to be replaced this winter. So I'll have to suck it up till I can get the part from a wrecker or till it arrives at toyota.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It's been a huge help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts