Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a answer why this happened to my 2009 Rav4 V6 limited (specially during xmas season!) and yeah it is an expensive repair cost. I am not a gear heads and a DIY guy. My V6 engine started to make a knocking noise...this is after a week of doing a oil change. No check engine light, no maintenance light went on to warn me of this pending disaster. It was diagnosed by a Toyota Service Center and was told that the bearings of the engine were crushed and connecting rod was broken.
The mechanic also showed me some grind metals on the oil pan. The mechanic have no idea why no warning lights went on to warn me of the problem.
I was very surprised that this thing happened to a "bullet proof engine" such as the V6. I do my oil change regularly and every 5k and I only use this car once a week per month due to out of town job assignments.

I am searching this forum if I have a similar case and I do not know if this is the same case of "jump timing";

Any idea??:frown

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I am trying to find a answer why this happened to my 2009 Rav4 V6 limited (specially during xmas season!) and yeah it is an expensive repair cost. I am not a gear heads and a DIY guy. My V6 engine started to make a knocking noise...this is after a week of doing a oil change. No check engine light, no maintenance light went on to warn me of this pending disaster. It was diagnosed by a Toyota Service Center and was told that the bearings of the engine were crushed and connecting rod was broken.
The mechanic also showed me some grind metals on the oil pan. The mechanic have no idea why no warning lights went on to warn me of the problem.
I was very surprised that this thing happened to a "bullet proof engine" such as the V6. I do my oil change regularly and every 5k and I only use this car once a week per month due to out of town job assignments.

I am searching this forum if I have a similar case and I do not know if this is the same case of "jump timing";

I've never heard of a failure like this on a Toyota engine that's been maintained properly. You would have to have an expert go over the engine, including the timing chain, to try and find out why this happened. Could very well be a defective part from the factory. Seems pointless to worry about it now. Get it fixed and move on.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Very sorry to hear of this huge loss. I owned a 2009 Venza with that same 3.5L V6 and it was a bullet proof engine with extremely rare to hear of situations like this.
I am curious why this oil change you referred to just prior to disaster took a week to complete? Was there something more going on here others may want to have knowledge of?

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
The Toyota V6 and other RAV4 engines are non-interference engines, so that if something goes wrong involving the valve trains the valves will not contact the pistons. The problem which you experienced would seem to have involved an oil pump problem, but if so that should have triggered the pressure warning light. The V6 generally has been bullet-proof but some owners have had problems, for example in this thread: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/108634-2008-v6-2gr-fe-vvt-i-failure-help.html

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
To destroy the bearings (crush them, a term I've never heard before) they have to run out of oil for some reason. First the engine gets noisy and if you keep driving breaking a connecting rod (turning the engine to scrap metal) may soon follow. While this is happening the only dash indication is the red oil pressure light. No CE or maintenance indicator will light. If you didn't get the OP light either it's burned out (unlikely and easy to check during startup) or the OP sensor is defective.
The earlier V6s did have a rubber (VVT) hose that could fail and cause the oil to dump out but I believe it was superseded by a steel pipe (like I retrofitted on my 2006) in 2009.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts