Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Does anyone know of the write up to do the pinion seal on these? I have a 09 rav4 v6 4x4 only has 51k on it and it is dripping (drop every few days) Right at the rear diff, Its right where drive shaft attaches to rear diff, I assume this is the pinion. I have access to alldata at work but it only shows how long it takes, Not how to do it, It does show the coupler seal if I wanted to pull rear coupler off and start tearing stuff apart, But I do not want to do that. Any info would be great!! Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
While I don't know the answer to your question I will tell you to check your rear dif breather hose vent...they get clogged and cause the dif to build pressure and pop seals...I grease mine every once in a while to keep it from getting blocked...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did a replacement of all 3 diff seals yesterday after 147k kms (2 axle shafts and the pinion). My pinion seal was leaking from about 40-60k km. This seems to be a normal annoyance with 4.3 rav4s. In comparison I never had to replace pinion seal in my last Honda pilot ever and it had 190k km b4 selling it.
There is a great write up on the forum for the axle shafts seal replacement but I could not find a write up on the pinion seal replacement.
After doing both I can say the pinion seal was surprisingly easy compared to the axle shafts.
In fact unlike most diff pinion seals you do not need to release the pinion bearing tensions bolt which makes the job less worrisome to get the proper tension on the bearing once reinstalling as you simply do not need to remove it.
I did not have time to take pics but here is a quick rundown of the procedure for others like me trying to find any info on it at all:
1st try to get a parts diagram printed out with part # descriptions (not just the diagram) from your dealer as i did, other wise look online for them at a an online parts depot when ordering/picking up the seal.
2. Get 2 crush washer for the the drain and fill holes and at least 500ml of diff fluid.
3. drain diff fluid via drain plug bolt
4. remove rear muffler for better access
5. loosen and remove 4 bolts on rear drive shaft to pinion/diff connection leaving the diff in place on the bolts. I marked my to put in the same placement for reinstall just in case it is balanced with the diff parts.
6. remove the mid point drive line support (2 bolts) and then lower the drive shaft assembly down to the floor without bending the joints past 20degrees.
7. remove 3 of the 4 bolts on the 2 front diff support brackets other wise there will be mechanical interference preventing the elctro coupler from coming off. from under the vehicle looking backward at the pinion you will see these brackets on each side of pinion. each bracket has 2 bolts connecting to the diff and another with rubber bushing connecting to the body.
8. remove the electro-coupler (4 bolts) and pull straight off. You will see some diff fluid seep out (probably on you) as it is tapped loose from the RTV sealant used to seal it to the housing.
9. disconnect the electro-coupler electrical connector from the top passenger side of the diff in order to remove the electro coil assembly.
10. remove the c clip holding the electro coil (black plastic ring assembly) in place, now slowly remove the electro coil .
11. remove 3 screws to get the electro coil holder off.
12. remove the 2 washers of the spline shaft but be darn sure to remember the order and orientation for proper re installation after.
13. the pinion seal (41410D in parts diagram) is now staring at you. measure how deep it is installed (mine was about .275" in from the outer edge the housing hole) and write it done as you will need to install the new seal at the same depth to contact the electro coupler shaft in the correct position to seal properly. Now remove it without scratching the housing surface
14. install new seal
15. reassemble in reverse order as above. you will need rtv to re-seal the electro coupler back to the diff housing. don't use to much in case globs get inside the electro coupler.
16. install diff fluid

P.S. My diff air breather was all rusted and seized up so I loosened it and sprayed some rust inhibitor on it to help prevent it from re-occurring when I had the diff out of the vehicle for the axle shaft seal replacmeent. this is known to cause pinion and axle shaft leaks.

Hope someone can use this as it was alot of wasted time for me trying to get answers. Feel free to update this for clarity if anyone sees improvements in the procedure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Where is the diff breather vent ? Is it on top of the diff? I couldn't see it today when I looked. Do I have to drop the diff down a bit to get at it? I have an 08 Limited I4.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes the breather is on the top of the diff. Not sure how easy it will be to replace while the diff is still in. I would like to change mine as just in the process of the dealing with my first leak

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes the breather is on the top of the diff. Not sure how easy it will be to replace while the diff is still in. I would like to change mine as just in the process of the dealing with my first leak
I finally got to it the other day. My helper was my sisters boyfriend who is a toyota mechanic so that helped. :)

You have to unbolt the driveshaft from the diff, unbolt the driveshaft hanger (in the middle of driveshaft) and move the driveshaft off to the side. Then remove the four bolts holding the diff. Support the diff with a jack before doing this. Then lower the diff as far as you can and you will see the breather is way at the back of the diff. Use a long chisel or screwdriver to get under the lip of the breather and pop it out. On install, you will need a 12mm socket I think to go over the breather and press on the outside lip only, then try to tap or pry it in the hole. My "helper" has done them mostly when the diff is on the bench at the dealership and seemed to struggle with it laying on his back. ....good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts