Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing my audio system in my 2009 Rav4 Sport for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that my backup camera has failed, and the dealer wants over $600 to replace it. Since this appears to be more than a new Android based head unit with a backup camera included, that's the option I'm considering.

I'm considering this head unit: Quad core 1024*600 HD Screen 2 din Android 4.4 Toyota Rav 4 RAV4 Car DVD Player Audio Video stereo GPS Navigation Radio 3G wifi-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

How difficult are these to install?

I've done a complete replacement of the head unit and speakers on 2001 Honda CRV a few years ago, so I'm slightly above complete newbie level, but not much.

My biggest worry is routing the wiring for the backup camera. How difficult is this really?

I may or may not replace the factory speakers, but if I do, I was hoping to just get some brackets and wiring harnesses so that I could use the existing wiring for the speakers

One option I'm also considering is adding a external amp. I've salvaged an Alpine MRX-V60 and a sub (not sure which model) from a friend's car that was scrapped, but the wiring looks fairly involved for that. Would I still be able to use the existing for the speakers, or would I have to run new wiring from from the amp?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I just installed the speakers on my 09 Sport last week and the Pioneer head unit was installed a few months ago. My double din stereo was just a bluetooth with usb input with no video or gps. The install should be fairly simple if you are good with wiring. There are many threads you can research that shows how to install and youtube video also.

For the speakers you need speaker adapters unless you want to gut the old speaker and mount it on top of the old speaker housing. I made my speaker adapter from mds wood and was cheaper than premade ones. You need a crimper and connectors and some additional wires. The speakers took 4 hours for the front and another 4 hours for the rear. I cut my old speaker wire connectors and butt joined new longer wires since the old wires connector goes into the speaker housing.

There is some info on backup camera you can research on these forum but I don't know how hard it is to rewire or use existing wiring.

If you were to add an amp for a subwoofer it should not be that bad since the new wiring can be run under the carpet from the rear trunk storage compartment. Some radio like mine has 2 pairs of rca output for an amp. I can join the front and rear speakers and have a subwoofer for the rear. But I can't fade those front and rear speakers. Some other types of radio have 3 pairs of rca output which allows front and rear speaker plus a pair of subs.

I am not sure I would try those radio brands from AliExpress with unknown names. Have a look at this model: Double DIN Bluetooth In-Dash DVD/CD/AM/FM Car Stereo w/ 6.2" Touchscreen and Pandora support
It has bluethooth, 3 pairs of preamp output, backup camera input, plays movies, touch srcreen, and usb. (no gps) The company gives $30 in accessories like dash kit and wiring harness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I am really quite interested in having an Android based head unit, and they seem to get pretty good reviews from those that have used them.

The idea of rolling my own speaker mounts is interesting. How big a piece of MDF did you need for all four mounts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I am really quite interested in having an Android based head unit, and they seem to get pretty good reviews from those that have used them.

The idea of rolling my own speaker mounts is interesting. How big a piece of MDF did you need for all four mounts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I used a 1/2 inch thick MDF. Home Depot sells them for $9.20 ( 48 inch x 24 inch). I used a jigsaw to cut it. Still had a lot left over wood. The wood was very easy to cut since it was soft. I tried to glue a round ring on top of the traced orginal speaker from an older RAV4. The ring came off after gluing it even though I clamp them. So I ended up using just one layer which was good enough. I painted the MDF to prevent moisture from rotting. I got stove top bolts and nuts in a set which cost $2.97 (13 pieces). They are 3/16 x 1 inch size. The front and rear orginal speakers are exactly the same on my 09. I seen pictures on this forum other years had front and rear speakers look different where the position of the bolts are mounted.

One interesting thing I found was the factory tweeter had to be connected in order for the front speaker to work. I wanted to disconnect them since I already have them on the new speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a 1/2 inch thick MDF. Home Depot sells them for $9.20 ( 48 inch x 24 inch). I used a jigsaw to cut it. Still had a lot left over wood. The wood was very easy to cut since it was soft. I tried to glue a round ring on top of the traced orginal speaker from an older RAV4. The ring came off after gluing it even though I clamp them. So I ended up using just one layer which was good enough. I painted the MDF to prevent moisture from rotting. I got stove top bolts and nuts in a set which cost $2.97 (13 pieces). They are 3/16 x 1 inch size. The front and rear orginal speakers are exactly the same on my 09. I seen pictures on this forum other years had front and rear speakers look different where the position of the bolts are mounted.

One interesting thing I found was the factory tweeter had to be connected in order for the front speaker to work. I wanted to disconnect them since I already have them on the new speakers.
Thanks. That looks like a nicely done job. I've heard that the factory tweeters needed to be connected or have the wires shorted together for the non factory speakers to work.

I assume that you had no trouble putting the factory speaker grills back in place, correct?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I am not sure how to get around bypassing the factory tweeter but in my case I had to reconnect it for the other front speaker to work. Just disconnecting the tweeter will not work and no sound will come out the front speaker. Perhaps it is wired in series ?

As for the door panel (spk grill) there is enough room to clear the speaker adapter/spk. The factory speaker bracket which holds the speaker has a 1 1/2 inch depth (measuring from the outside of the hole) so there is more than enough room.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Wiring the backup camera is not hard technically.
The most painful thing for me was removing the rear fender panel to connect the wiring to the backup light and also to fish the wire through the rubber conduit into the rear door.
Otherwise, running the wire to the front is really easy. Many threads cover this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wiring the backup camera is not hard technically.
The most painful thing for me was removing the rear fender panel to connect the wiring to the backup light and also to fish the wire through the rubber conduit into the rear door.
Otherwise, running the wire to the front is really easy. Many threads cover this.
Thanks for reply!

I've got an existing factory backup camera that has failed. Could I use the power lines to that camera instead of fishing the wires? I know that if it is the wires that have failed as opposed to the camera, I'll end up having to run wires anyways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i believe the oem backup runs on 6v and is powered from the deck (most aftermarkets are 12v). I would be interested in what u find out wiring wise as I have a 2011 rav4 sport that i want to add a camera to. I have been researching the forums and so far I cant find a definitive answer as to if the car is 'prewired' for a camera. I dont want to run a wire to the back unless I have to.

the deck from aliexpress looks interesting but u have to pay via credit card as they dont take paypal. But it does come with camera and external mic. If you order one please reply back here as to what the import duties will cost you.

thx

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Boy80, the power wire for the camera is usually the Reverse wire which is 12v. for the factory camera. On aftermarket head units (with camera input) there is a on demand display which connects to the battery without putting the car in reverse in order to see. So technically an aftermarket radio can have 2 power leads.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/105410-display-rear-camera-factory-nav-screen-2.html

I think the camera were available 2009 onwards but if yours doesn't have it check the passenger door still for the pre-wiring.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Thanks for reply!

I've got an existing factory backup camera that has failed. Could I use the power lines to that camera instead of fishing the wires? I know that if it is the wires that have failed as opposed to the camera, I'll end up having to run wires anyways.

Tjey, try to check if the camera reverse wire on the camera end has 12 volts. You may have a wiring issue. Could be bad connection, broken or loose wire, poor ground etc.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Thanks for reply!

Tjey, try to check if the camera reverse wire on the camera end has 12 volts. You may have a wiring issue. Could be bad connection, broken or loose wire, poor ground etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How doe u know if the wiring for the rear camera is in place? Is there a connector to look for? I haven't opened up the back trunk door yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i believe the oem backup runs on 6v and is powered from the deck (most aftermarkets are 12v). I would be interested in what u find out wiring wise as I have a 2011 rav4 sport that i want to add a camera to. I have been researching the forums and so far I cant find a definitive answer as to if the car is 'prewired' for a camera. I dont want to run a wire to the back unless I have to.

the deck from aliexpress looks interesting but u have to pay via credit card as they dont take paypal. But it does come with camera and external mic. If you order one please reply back here as to what the import duties will cost you.

thx
Thanks.

I'll definitely check the voltage before I wire anything up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will give it a try. I have had two separate dealers tell me I need a new camera, but I'm less than convinced that they checked thoroughly.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
How doe u know if the wiring for the rear camera is in place? Is there a connector to look for? I haven't opened up the back trunk door yet.
The easiest thing to do is check it on the passenger side. Look under the door sill. Remove the plastic cover to see if there are any camera wires. The rear door panel is harder to remove. There are some threads with the pictures of the camera wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought and installed a android 5.1 stereo with rear camera. My 2011 spirit did not gave camera wiring in place. Also I hot the reverse trigger from a red wire in a unused connector behind the stereo wiring. I'll post some pictures later

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just bought and installed a android 5.1 stereo with rear camera. My 2011 spirit did not gave camera wiring in place. Also I hot the reverse trigger from a red wire in a unused connector behind the stereo wiring. I'll post some pictures later
I'd love to see the pictures and get your thoughts on how hard the camera wiring was. My own project has been put on hold because of some other stuff I've got going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the unit from amazon.com. its the hizpo android 5.1. with free back up camera. (which was crap) for $299 shipped within the us. I didn't wanna deal with aliexpress incase of issues with quality, duties and in case it came damaged etc. That's why I ordered thru amazon.com. link is here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCHXJJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered a new camera thru amazon.ca. Which is the one I installed. link https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01149RWGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Camera is good except the size was a little bigger then I expected. But its all metal..and felt durable. built in guide lines.

Installed was pretty straight forward. My 2011 Rav4 didn't have the rear view camera wiring inplace so I ran it in..took a good few hours to install and test ....breaking a couple clips etc.

I didn't go for the license plate light camera drop in as it didn't look as durable or oem looking. To installe the camera my way I had to remove the spare tire and license plate body trim and drill in a hole to mount it. I can go into more detail if u need more info. just reply here.

The only other useful tip is I found a reverse trigger signal in the center console in a unused connector that was taped up. its the red wire as the pictures show. Easier then poking around for the reverse trigger in the fuse box area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts