Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone tried to install a factory steering wheel audio controls on a '09 Base model?

I just order the repair and electrical manuals from Toyota (over 500$) and will be looking at doing this (and installing the foot lights).

Manu

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depands on the stereo and the car grade. I have 06 Sport no JBL. Radio has the wires available, but the steering wheel spiral cable is just wired for horn and cruise control. So Spiral cable replacement would be necessary... Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I receive the service manuals I ordered, I will look at this and will post my findings... If the radio is ready for it, it will all depend on the price of the steering wheel control hardware - unless I am forced to replace the complete steering wheel...

I will report back here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rav4 Already pre-wired. all you need is buy the control button or steering wheel (i am not sure on that) and clock-spring for air bag.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
monkey28 said:
Rav4 Already pre-wired. all you need is buy the control button or steering wheel (i am not sure on that) and clock-spring for air bag.
Thanks... I will inquire again, but the dealer I asked wanted something like 2000$ for the steering wheel! (without the airbag!).

Regarding the clockspring for the airbag, you mean it will not already be there? I already have a "display" button on the right side of the wheel...

·
Registered
22 Posts
monkey28 said:
Are you sure "All pre-wired"? I did some research on 06 Sport and the spiral connector (E7) has only 3 pins and 3 corresponing wires - BR, SY, L wired as horn and cruise control. Yes I have double checked that the male connector (seems part of the steerinf wheel assembly) has only 3 pins - and all used as described above.

What Am I missing, please?

Also Is there a way to replace just the spiral cable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
that's what I not sure on spiral cable, i haven't take one out yet to find out. But i am
sure the vehicle harness is pre-wire to radio.

But sounds like you need to change to spiral cable at least.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
monkey28 said:
that's what I not sure on spiral cable, i haven't take one out yet to find out. But i am
sure the vehicle harness is pre-wire to radio.

But sounds like you need to change to spiral cable at least.
Finally received the repair manuals for the '09 RAV... Unfortunately, it does not say whether there is only type of spiral cable with all the necessary wiring to the radio, in which case all I have to do is purchase the steering wheel audio controls (comes with the "display" button) and plug it in the existing spiral... I guess I will have to disassemble the steering wheel and take a look... GIven that's it's 20 below here, looks like a small project for the summer!
I will report back here when I have more info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update:
Finally got the dealer to quote just the steering wheel controls only... approx. 450$. Way too much $$... So this project is dead for now unless I find these controls at a scrap yard. I still don't know if the clock spring is pre-wired and whether I can just plug in the "new" audio control button set....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Pal
Please do not give up that easy. If you like the idea, then keep up the search.
I am still looking around for the In-dash and portable navigation systems, and all the accessories needed. Therefore I spent few Hrs between two Stealer-ships and I found out that the Control Buttons plus the Bluetooth Button would be something around $250.00 + Tax; which is not that bad. But the problem is middle part where the horn and the airbag is, and that would cost around $850.00 + Tax.
Obviously the prices are Canadian and I am sure that our friends from the states will get a better deal (price-wise) as usual.
I’ll rather to pay that instead of getting it from a scrap-yard! Or pay $2200.00 + Tax for a whole steering wheel.
Anyways good luck and keep your post up-dated as you go.
Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm very much interested in doing this project myself. We have a Base 09 coming in a week or two, and I didn't realize until just now that it doesn't have the steering wheel volume controls I so mindlessly depend upon with my current vehicle.

I'll post any info I find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a 09 Rav4 Sport without the leather, so didn't get the audio controls. Dealership quoted me $4500 to replace the steering wheel to one with audio controls. Figured there must be a cheaper way...

I will be installing an after-market nav system, so it doesn't matter if it works with the stock system or not.

I had a look at that European Toyota manual, and it looks like you can just pop off the trim on the left of the steering wheel and replace it with the controls, without having to do the entire steering wheel.

I will keep investigating, and will keep on checking back to see if anyone else has any luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased a base 2009 RAV4 with just the display switch on the steering wheel and I recently installed the DNX7140. I wanted to add audio controls to so I ordered what I thought was the display/audio switch combo from Japan but ended up with the audio/bluetooth combo. After much bickering they refused to accept a return on the part and claimed they didn't have the part I wanted.

So I took the audio/bluetooth switches and cut the pins out of the socket for the audio switch. I also had to unsolder the bluetooth switch from the audio circuit board. Once I had the audio controls separated ffrom the bluetooth switch, I inserted the pins for it in the display switch socket and soldered the common ground wires together. I used the audio/bluetooth socket to guide me where the pins needed to go.

Of course, I also purchased the PAC SWI-Jack and went through hooking up the controls for the DNX7140. Everything now works fine (except for the slight delay caused by the swi-jack).

Naturally, I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it this way if you can just buy the audio/display switches for your steering wheel. I did it this way to save money since I already had the audio controls. The point is, the 2009 base is wired to accept the audio controls without needing to replace the spiral cable in the steering column. I traced these wires to the 20 pin connector that goes to the radio. I did use the factory radio for testing and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That's good to know. I think it'll be easier tracking that down at the autowreckers then than to find an '09 steering wheel there cause I want to keep my Disp button.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank gruzek!

Just need to track down the part number for the audio controls without bluetooth? Anybody know how to do this?

Based on this, it looks like it should be 84250A, but that might be the wrong one?
http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=20847

If I can track down the part, and I can work up the guts to do it, I will take pictures of the process. Is there anything I should worry about, or is it simple? I am looking at http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/Toy/aimuploads/{1C6D2F74-F993-AA4B-374C-0478C5FCF993}/Steering Wheel TTE PZ439-X0170-01 AIM 000 601 00.pdf and it seems to say something about the radio code.

How do you like the DNX7140? I am looking at either the Kenwood, Alpine or Pioneer.

I am curious to know if it is possible to split the video from the backup camera so it will go to the rear-view mirror screen and the HU.

·
Registered
39 Posts
grakfon said:
Thank gruzek!

Just need to track down the part number for the audio controls without bluetooth? Anybody know how to do this?

Based on this, it looks like it should be 84250A, but that might be the wrong one?
http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=20847

If I can track down the part, and I can work up the guts to do it, I will take pictures of the process. Is there anything I should worry about, or is it simple? I am looking at http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/Toy/aimuploads/{1C6D2F74-F993-AA4B-374C-0478C5FCF993}/Steering Wheel TTE PZ439-X0170-01 AIM 000 601 00.pdf and it seems to say something about the radio code.

How do you like the DNX7140? I am looking at either the Kenwood, Alpine or Pioneer.

I am curious to know if it is possible to split the video from the backup camera so it will go to the rear-view mirror screen and the HU.
That image you're looking at is the reason I ordered the wrong part. Japanparts says they don't have the part and can't get it so you should contact your local dealer and see if they can get it for you. If you can find the part, it's relatively simple. Remove the airbag. It takes a T30 Torx bit and the two screws are located on either side of the steering wheel. Two screws hold in the display and blank switch covers. A slight "tug" gets them to come out. The display switch socket unplugs easily and the new part should plug right in. There's also a ground wire that comes from the switch harness and plugs into the airbag. I disconnected my battery for several minutes before I pulled the airbag.

As for the DNX7140, I chose it over the Alpine, etc. because of the number of features it had versus the cost, and I can't say I'm disappointed. The only gripe I have is MSN Direct won't be available for a while and nobody at Kenwood can say when it might be ready. It has the Garmin guts and is powerful enough to meet all my audio needs.

As far as splitting the video signal, I'm sure it can be done but I'm not sure what degradation the video may have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
gruzek said:
That image you're looking at is the reason I ordered the wrong part. Japanparts says they don't have the part and can't get it so you should contact your local dealer and see if they can get it for you. If you can find the part, it's relatively simple. Remove the airbag. It takes a T30 Torx bit and the two screws are located on either side of the steering wheel. Two screws hold in the display and blank switch covers. A slight "tug" gets them to come out. The display switch socket unplugs easily and the new part should plug right in. There's also a ground wire that comes from the switch harness and plugs into the airbag. I disconnected my battery for several minutes before I pulled the airbag.

As for the DNX7140, I chose it over the Alpine, etc. because of the number of features it had versus the cost, and I can't say I'm disappointed. The only gripe I have is MSN Direct won't be available for a while and nobody at Kenwood can say when it might be ready. It has the Garmin guts and is powerful enough to meet all my audio needs.

As far as splitting the video signal, I'm sure it can be done but I'm not sure what degradation the video may have.
Thanks so much for the info in this and your previous post. Just to clarify a few things:

You mentioned the combo audio/display switch is supposed to be a drop in replacement, assuming it really exists. Is the same true for going from display only wheel to a "audio controls on the left, existing display on the right" configuration?

Put another way, could I turn this into this with nothing more than the acquisition of the audio controls/face plate for a base 09 with a stock radio?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is really interesting to me.. An earlier post mentioned that it was 250 for the buttons. He didnt specify if it was a combo like the one from japanparts.

I really want to do this and also grab that Chinese NAV system

1 - 20 of 272 Posts