Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I am new to the forum as well as being new to Toyota as an owner. I recently bought a 2009 Rav4 VX 4 wheel drive diesel. The thing I miss most in my RAV is a cruise control.

Has anybody got any info for me about acquiring and installing a cruise unit. Preferably would like to do it myself. Don't have any problem using second hand parts either

I understand that the unit from other models may also fit. Am I correct?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hold your steering wheel at the 3 and 9 o clock positions...now place your right hand on the backside of the wheel and go from the 3 o clock position to the 5 o clock position...you should feel a small lever sticking out...that is your cruise control controls...at least it is where they are on the USA models...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Hold your steering wheel at the 3 and 9 o clock positions...now place your right hand on the backside of the wheel and go from the 3 o clock position to the 5 o clock position...you should feel a small lever sticking out...that is your cruise control controls...at least it is where they are on the USA models...
If he/she has a "VX diesel", chances are they aren't from 'round these parts!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure what the "VX" model came equipped with from the factory, but if it indeed did not come with cruise it may be an easy install. My 06 Corolla CE was prewired for cruise and all I had to do was purchase and install a switch from the wreckers. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2009 Rav4 Diesel (here in South Africa) did not come standard with a cruise control fitted. I searched the net & found that it was necessary to remove the airbag on the steering wheel to establish if a\there was provision electrically for the criuse control connection. There was. So I purchased the necessary cruise control arm and connection wiring (brand new Toyota parts), plugged it in, but it does not work. The "cruise" light on the dash does not even come on. Can anybody assist please

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have installed the cruise control switch and connected the wiring (my harness was not wired for it) - red wire to pin 40 on the ECM, black wire to earth. I checked the end results with a multi-meter and both checked out for continuity. I also got the Toyota dealer to verify the existence of the cruise control on the ECU. They confirmed it was there. Still my cruise control will not work at all - no light or function. I even checked the new switch to ensure (with a multi-meter) the resistance was different for all switch positions. Just don't know where to go from there. Anybody got any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts