Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rav4 is leaking coolant from the tube coming out of the overflow tank ( i checked that by putting a bottle in the engine bay and put the tube inside it ) i drove a while and when i checked , the bottle was Full of coolant but the overflow tank was empty , also i noticed that my car is overheating (over The half of The Temperature indicator in the dashboard and the fans don't ever turn despite that) could this be a thermostat problem ? I checked The fans , they work fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,354 Posts
V6 or I4? How many miles?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, is yours a I4 or V6?
My I4 had a plastic hose connection tube that developed a leak and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My car has D-Cat engine, with 88k Miles, Here is what i did , i extended the tube coming out of the Coolant tank so that it can reach the white bottle, then i drove for 40 miles letting the engine heat up , then i checked the white bottle , it was full of coolant , which means there is so much leak .

·
Super Moderator
10,354 Posts
Okay, it's a Diesel I4. We don't have them in North America where most of R4W's members reside. In fact the closest I've ever been to one is your picture!

Since you haven't mentioned any leaks anywhere else such at a hose or the radiator, unfortunately my first thought is you have a failing head gasket that's causing engine compression to force the coolant out and also the overheating. If that's the case another symptom would be the car's heater won't work.

If I'm right then driving the car will only do more damage such as warping the cylinder head. In any case it will be an expensive repair. If it was mine I'd at least try some "radiator" sealer such as AlumaSeal. For a few dollars I've seen it work to seal head gaskets albeit on gas engines that have much lower compression than a Diesel.

Reactions: Bigphil555

·
Registered
8,643 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
122 Posts
+1 for what Dr Dyno said above regarding over pressure. The only other possibility of over pressure I have seen was a blocked radiator (replacement radiator solved the problem). Suggest before you pour in some sealing product, could you try the sniffer device that has blue fluid that turns yellow if there is exhaust gases present. If not, could you get someone t run a pressure test on the system to see if it holds - this would at least give direction on what is needed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, it's a Diesel I4. We don't have them in North America where most of R4W's members reside. In fact the closest I've ever been to one is your picture!

Since you haven't mentioned any leaks anywhere else such at a hose or the radiator, unfortunately my first thought is you have a failing head gasket that's causing engine compression to force the coolant out and also the overheating. If that's the case another symptom would be the car's heater won't work.

If I'm right then driving the car will only do more damage such as warping the cylinder head. In any case it will be an expensive repair. If it was mine I'd at least try some "radiator" sealer such as AlumaSeal. For a few dollars I've seen it work to seal head gaskets albeit on gas engines that have much lower compression than a Diesel.
The problem happens only when driving the car, I rev up the engine to 2500rpms for 10 min then the car overheated and the coolant didn't leak, but when driving and reaching the same temperature reached when the car wasn't moving the coolant leak, I checked for white smoke and there is no smoke, I changed the temperature sensor (the old one started measuring temp from under the gauge's start point, the new one starts measuring from the correct start point) and the the coolant tank cap, I will see if it leaks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts