Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched everywhere for this reset button and I am convinced that it does not exist on this vehicle. Last year the tires were replaced by NTB and they claim to have serviced all of the batteries in the valves. The TPMS light came on during the drive home. I checked all of the tire pressures and they were over inflated so I set them all back to 32PSI. The light stayed on for days but finally went off. Yesterday I checked the tire pressures and they were at 25PSI. I inflated all tires including the spare to 32PSI exactly. The vehicle was driven about 20 miles and the TPMS light came back on. It blinks for about a minute when the car is started and then stays solid. I rechecked all of the tire pressures and they are still at 32PSI. I even reset the battery with but the light is still on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The TPMS does not have serviceable/replacable batteries which means you need a brand new TPMS. I am wondering if you actually got new ones? Did the NTB replaced the TPMS on the spare tire? You would need to check your invoice to see what was replaced since we have no idea.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
There is no reset button on the 2009. When the tire shop "services" the TPMS sensors, that simply means they replace the o-ring and gasket. The batteries in the sensors are still over 10 years old.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That explains why I couldn't find the button. So the light would stay solid if the sensors need replacing?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Not exactly, if you have any of the 5 tires low, the light will come on steady when you start it and stay on. If any of the 5 are defective(tire pressure good), the light will blink for about 1 minute after starting and then stay on steady. Even if you develop a low tire while you have a defective one, it will always blink when starting. I just went thru all that, so I know!
As others have said, TPMS sensors aren't serviceable, they're replaceable. Assuming yours are original(10 yrs old), they should all be replaced.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
There is no reset button on the 2009. When the tire shop "services" the TPMS sensors, that simply means they replace the o-ring and gasket. The batteries in the sensors are still over 10 years old.
That service kit would be something like this one which is not the actual tpms unit which has the sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then it looks like the solution is to replace all 5 TPMS sensors. Would have been nice for NTB to suggest this while they were replacing all of the tires.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did mine on my 2009. 8 to 10 years life is the average. Not exactly cheap but there are aftermarket products carried (or capable of being ordered) by some tire dealers. They need equipment to program them to your car or a dealer Techstream product. Programming can also be done by DIYers with Techstream software, but be sure to record sensor serial numbers before they are installed.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Then it looks like the solution is to replace all 5 TPMS sensors. Would have been nice for NTB to suggest this while they were replacing all of the tires.
Wish all shops make these helpful recommendations but many times they fail to do so. It is just like I once had my brakes done by a shop and they did not lube the slide pins and less than a year later the rotor wore uneven and had to throw the brake parts away. Had put premium Brembo rotors and Akebono pads too. So I don't rely on the shops anymore and do it myself and learn more on the forum to stay on top of things.

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts
Indeed the sensors likely need replacing but don't forget that the spare also has one. If you didn't bring it up to 32 psi then there's your light. I would go back to NTB and speak to the manager about their failure to recommend replacing all sensors. He/she might give you a price break.

Discount tire charged $60 each for the replacements when new tires were purchased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NTB tested all of the sensors and said that 2 were bad. It makes sense to replace all 5 sensors but they wanted over $700. Can anyone recommend some sensors that I can buy aftermarket? I called a local shop and they said they can install them for $20 each but they can't guarantee that they can program the aftermarket sensors.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
NTB tested all of the sensors and said that 2 were bad. It makes sense to replace all 5 sensors but they wanted over $700. Can anyone recommend some sensors that I can buy aftermarket? I called a local shop and they said they can install them for $20 each but they can't guarantee that they can program the aftermarket sensors.
The Denso 5500103 from RockAuto is just $32 each which is the OEM brand that is the same as what your car came with. Buy from RockAuto and get them install at that local shop for $20 each. Those Denso should program perfectly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Denso 5500103 from RockAuto is just $32 each which is the OEM brand that is the same as what your car came with. Buy from RockAuto and get them install at that local shop for $20 each. Those Denso should program perfectly.
Appreciate it. Would the AC Delcos be all right?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Appreciate it. Would the AC Delcos be all right?
It is better to get the Denso. Denso is a Japanese company that supply many of the OEM parts (air filter, oil filters, water pump, etc) for Toyota. Denso quality is quite high. By the way Amazon also have these TPMS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts