Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Rav4, Limited, 6cyl, 4xd.

We had a near 100-degree day yesterday up in Boston. Car was running fine yesterday. This morning, went to start. AC fan comes on, lights work, radio is blasting (teenager!), but engine does not start. Several indicator lights on:

Engine light
Low Oil Pressure
AT/Temp
Electric Power Steering Light
Charging System Warning Light

Brakes do not easily depress as they typically would do prior to starting engine.

About to check fluid levels, etc, but any ideas? It has 140,000.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
sounds like the starter crapped out...everything you described happens when you turn the key on, but dont start it...you could try tapping on the starter with a hammer and then try to start it again...maybe tap on it while someone turns the key...when you turn the key to start do the dash lights dim a lot?...could also be a bad battery as heat can mess them up...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tapping on the starter got it to turn over, thanks! Is this indication of "time to change the starter" or perhaps just indicative of fairly extreme weather conditions? Car sat idle for 24 hours while temps reached close to 100 F...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
After 140K miles, yes it could be the starter. However, it could also be a bad neutral safety switch or ignition switch. If it happens again, try switching from Park to Neutral and see if it cranks.

·
Super Moderator
10,207 Posts
Yeah I totally forgot about the neutral safety switch LOL...
It usually takes two right hands to do it but my test for the neutral/park switch is to move the shift lever while holding the key to the start position.
In this case unless a wire or bolt came loose and tapping on the starter worked it's likely new starter time. I'd be ordering one online to have at the ready.
Speaking of that it's probably time to install my $10 fuel pump before the noisy original one strands my wife.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Speaking of that it's probably time to install my $10 fuel pump before the noisy original one strands my wife.
There is a TSB about fuel pump noise. The fix is to replace the fuel pump resistor on the firewall.

Oh, and good call on that reported post. You were right--it was a spammer from India.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts