Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2009 RAV4 (purchased new from Toyota dealer) and noticed that the Clear coat of the car is now peeling. Mostly on the top of the rear door but, also across the top area. :crying
Checking Google on the paint problem - I found that this is a problem with Toyota cars and is not being covered by Toyota as a factory defect. :mad:
My RAV4 was built in Japan and the color is Ocean Blue.
I live in Las Vegas, NV and the car has been parked outside since 2011.

The solution (from a Google search) appears to be - strip the paint and primer off to bare metal and repaint. :surprise

The paint problem is not just a problem with the RAV4 but, also a problem with other Toyota models.
I have never had this happen to any of my cars in the past, including my 1990 Camry in the past.

I hate to go to a different manufacturer when I buy my next car but, if Toyota is not willing to fix the painting defect I will not be in the market for another Toyota in the future. :frown

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Of course you can contact Toyota about your problem to find out what they might do. Given the age of your RAV Toyota likely will not feel that remedial action is their responsibility, but at least you can attempt to have them take action. Is only the clear coat peeling while the paint itself is OK? Most of the problems with Toyota paint which have been reported here appear to have involved peeling white paint but without mentioning situations involving specifically the clear coat.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah 9 years old is a bit much to expect anything from Toyota. Parking outside full time in NV is going to be rough on any paint. Get a garage/carport/some sort of shade.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Pretty simple.......full repaint or live with it. Yes, it sucks but that's just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Given that you live in the desert and your vehicle is parked outdoors all the time, your experience is not unusual. Be comforted that while it might progress, it will never reach a point where it cannot be repainted. I once moved from Iowa to the New Mexico SE high plains desert and the rust in my vehicle stopped progressing.

If I were in your position, I would let it be until I found a place with at least a shaded part of the driveway, a car port.

Best of luck.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I was stuck in traffic the other day with another RAV4 with peeling paint. It was newer than mine, a 2009 or later Limited with Blizzard Pearl paint. There was virtually no paint left on the roof between the windshield and sunroof. And I saw another patch of peeled paint on the front fender. Other than those issues, the vehicle looked to be in perfect shape. There is no way this is not a factory defect, but Toyota is wringing their hands of this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No paint problems with my 1993 AMC Jeep Cherokee

I had no paint problems with my 1993 AMC Jeep Cherokee that, I kept for 15 years in Las Vegas.

No such problems with paint on other cars in the past as well.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The paint problem especially with some paint colors seems to have developed when paints were modified because of EPA, etc. regulations regarding emissions so that less or even no-volatile solvents have been required.
Toyota has emphasized being environmentally conscious, so that all may be the cause of paint and coating endurance, especially in some paint formulations.

I have had a difficult time obtaining solvent-based Rustoleum paint to repaint our front yard light post in the past few years. Water-based is all that seems to be available for brush on, and solvent-based is obtainable only with aerosol cans. Solvent-based in our experience lasts much longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts