Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Here recently I have been having an unusual problem with my factory radio, looking for some help on what it could be, so I can make the proper replacement.

I have a 2009 RAV4 Limited Edition with the factory JBL system, while listening to FM radio the head unit will randomly power off, quickly come back on, then whatever station I was listening to at the time will be completely silent, I can only restore sound by switching between stations, or manually turning the head unit on and off.

Once it does this one time, it will go into a non stop loop of staying on for a short while, turning off, turning back on, having no sound on whatever station I was on until I go through the previously mentioned process.

The more confusing issue is that if I run something over AUX, it never happens.

Does this sound like a failing head unit, or a failing amp?

With the assumption that I have a failing head unit, I have already started looking into getting an aftermarket one, I just do not want to order it, the problem actually be at the amp, and have to turn around and burn more money on getting a new amp/speakers as well.
That being said this is what I currently have in my Amazon shopping cart, should I go ahead and proceed with ordering this, or should I also order a new amp and speakers?

Pioneer AVH-4100NEX In-Dash Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display

Metra TYTO-01 JBL Amplifier Interface Harness

Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface

Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Wire Harness with RCA for 2003-Up Select Toyota/Scion/Lexus Vehicles

Metra 99-8217 Double DIN or Single DIN Installation Kit for 2006-2009 Toyota Rav4

MicroBypass Parking Brake Switch Fully Automatic Video in Motion Interface for Pioneer Model AVH-4100NEX

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you check your radio settings in the menu, if the reception is not set on 'local'. This option will only give the most powerfull radio stations, and when listening to one which is getting less powerfull when driving, then it might dissapear behind the auto mute/noise cancelling.
If the reception setting 'local' is not active, then check your antenna, antenna conector and connection in to the head unit.

When looking around for a new head unit the most simple and cheapest option is a same and second hand JBL head unit. Those are easy to find on Ebay etc.
Choosing something completely new and different is more expensive but a good option too. From my opinion based on experience: choose a true and good brand, and leave the Chinese Windows/Android head units.
Maybe a Kenwood head unit is a good option. Radio signal reception quality is Kenwood's experience, so perfect. Amp is well known for it's quality and multiple audio settings, and when you need navigation Kenwood uses TomTom's compatitor Garmin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check your radio settings in the menu, if the reception is not set on 'local'. This option will only give the most powerfull radio stations, and when listening to one which is getting less powerfull when driving, then it might dissapear behind the auto mute/noise cancelling.
Where is this mythological "menu" system you speak of?
To my knowledge, the basic ass factory JBL system does _not_ have any menu system beyond altering tone, fade, and balance.

·
Registered
244 Posts
In the EU no JBL radio's are factory installed but the Panasonic models.
Those radio's have a menu setting for radio reception "normal" and "local".
Maybe another forum member from the US can help us out here...
Could be possible true that the JBL head unit has no such menu option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a somewhat similar issue. The display screen in colder temperatures lights up but will be blank of information. If I press the "1" button on the programmed stations it will shut the radio off. Once the car warms up I don't have this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts