Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a question my 09 awd sport needs a new engine the 4 cylinder 2.5l will any from the 4.3 generation work. So far I have been priced 5000 to 7000 CND for used and a new one is way to much . The reason I want to repair it is that it was the first car me and my wife got together and are 2 year old daughter keeps crying that her car is gone. I already put 4k into it this past year with two sets of new tires breaks front and back alternate water pump. And a few little things . It has 220000 km on it and it over heated and that is why I need a new engine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
7k for a used motor? holy molly thats a lot of money.

id think you could find a motor installed for 2500 to 3000. Quick look at junk yard shows a motor for about 2k.

i pwrsonally wouldnt put more than 3k into a car with that type of kms on it.

for 7k you could nearly get an complete rav! i bought my v6 for 9500 2 years ago with 140k on it.

where in Canada are you?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Vanbar can you fill in your profile. Since you quoted in CAD you must be in Canada? The price of a used engine should be around $1650 not including labour. Any RAV4 2009-2012 engine (2.5 litre) would fit your car. The newer Gen4 (2013 onwards) uses the same engine but someone may know if they fit also. The 2006-2008 model had a 2.4 litre engine which is different than yours.

You should shop around more since the quote you are getting is a few thousand dollars too high.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I agree with the others. Someone's trying to retire on one sale with those prices. Probably there too but in the US the yards have cross references of what engines fit what cars. I'm sure the same 2.5L was/is used in the Camry and likely other models.
Try www.car-part.com

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I recall that someone on this forum got a low mileage replacement RAV 2.5 engine from a source which obtained it from Japan, and the cost was much lower than what you were quoted. And if I recall further the engine was guaranteed, but I don't recall for how long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts