Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2009 rav 4 v6 with 90,500 miles on it. I went to visit my in laws and while driving on highway( 3 hour drive), I see Check engine light . VSC and 4WD disabled. Took it to Autozone and the code reader says I got a code P1037 .O2 sensor near the Cat converter is showing low voltage for prolonged time. He suggested probably it is going bad. I read a couple of posts and they point to the same conclusion. However, the next few days when I drove it around town and short highway trips, the codes disappeared.Then while coming back home on the highway ( 3 hour drive) , I get the codes back. I am in a dilemma if this is indeed a faulty O2 sensor or something else as the code seem to come and go. Part of me wants to just replace the O2 sensor.
Thoughts?
Thanks for your time.
Pavan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check the connector to make sure its not loose . If you run with a bad 02 sensor for a long time it could damage your catalytic converter.

Link to p0037 on Rav4 V6

Denso 02 sensor

Find My Part | DENSO Auto Parts

Once you find the Denso part number (Denso is OEM) you can check around for the best price. I got mine online at Walmart shipped to store (took 5 days to get it). I have the 2.5 engine and it only took me 20 mins to change.(dealer wanted 350.00 to do it) Make sure you spray lots of PB blaster or some penetrating oil on it and let it sit overnight. You might want to get a 02 sensor Socket to get the sensor off. Also make sure you put the anti seize paste on the threads on the new 02 sensor. Let us know how it goes !

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2009 rav 4 v6 with 90,500 miles on it. I went to visit my in laws and while driving on highway( 3 hour drive), I see Check engine light . VSC and 4WD disabled. Took it to Autozone and the code reader says I got a code P1037 .O2 sensor near the Cat converter is showing low voltage for prolonged time. He suggested probably it is going bad. I read a couple of posts and they point to the same conclusion. However, the next few days when I drove it around town and short highway trips, the codes disappeared.Then while coming back home on the highway ( 3 hour drive) , I get the codes back. I am in a dilemma if this is indeed a faulty O2 sensor or something else as the code seem to come and go. Part of me wants to just replace the O2 sensor.
Thoughts?
Thanks for your time.
Pavan
So the code is for driving long periods of time with low voltage...then you don't drive for a long period of time and you get no code...you then drive for a long period of time and get the code...all your research is pointing to a faulty sensor...I would change the sensor or stop driving for long periods of time...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the connector to make sure its not loose . If you run with a bad 02 sensor for a long time it could damage your catalytic converter.

Link to p0037 on Rav4 V6

Denso 02 sensor

Find My Part | DENSO Auto Parts

Once you find the Denso part number (Denso is OEM) you can check around for the best price. I got mine online at Walmart shipped to store (took 5 days to get it). I have the 2.5 engine and it only took me 20 mins to change.(dealer wanted 350.00 to do it) Make sure you spray lots of PB blaster or some penetrating oil on it and let it sit overnight. You might want to get a 02 sensor Socket to get the sensor off. Also make sure you put the anti seize paste on the threads on the new 02 sensor. Let us know how it goes !

Thank you Very much. Placed the sensor order from Amazon. The video is spot on. Learning from that video. I will use a lot of wd 40 and use a impact gun to remove the old sensor.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would never use an impact on an 02 sensor...those threads can be delicate...lots of penetrating oil and patients...I have also used a mapp gas torch to heat it up if it feels stuck...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would never use an impact on an 02 sensor...those threads can be delicate...lots of penetrating oil and patients...I have also used a mapp gas torch to heat it up if it feels stuck...
I agree I wouldn't use an impact wrench. I wouldn't use wd40 either. PB Blaster works much better. just spray it and let it sit overnight and spay it again right before you take it out (ENGINE COLD). Use a breaker bar or a pipe on your ratchet with the sensor socket and some muscle (or 3 lb hammer) . Some auto parts stores will let you rent or borrow the sensor socket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I understand the threads are sensitive and hence my inclination towards a impact Wrench. I can set to max torque of 100 pounds and use until it breaks loose. With a breaker bar , the problem is unless the nut head is square, force is applied more on to one side while a impact wrench applies force evenly. I usually have had problems rounding with a breaker bar than a impact wrench.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
If you're discarding the sensor anyway cut the wires off and use a breaker bar and a standard 6-point deep socket. Work it back and forth as you remove it. As mentioned the heat wrench may help too.

BTW, when you edit a post you don't have to list a reason. I never do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To close what I have started.
Replaced the sensor today. No problems with the new one so far.
Thank You.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts