Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Toyota Rav4 that I purchased at the auction. The key fob was not have unlocking the doors so I had to use the physical key. The rav4 has a push to start. It doesn't try to start at all when I push the button. I've replaced the battery in the fob, held it on top of the push to start button, etc. Dealer says it has three computers and they are not communicating with the key. Said previous owner might have replaced the pcm. They are saying it will cost $2,000-$3000 for them to now replace the pcm? Does this sound right? Is there any other option you guys know of?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you been driving the RAV and this happened all at once or did you just get it. If you just got it how did you drive it home. I also would check the fob battery voltage even if it is new. I don't know if it's possible to put the battery in upside down. I'm sure you know how to replace a battery but just trying to think of any possibilities.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I just talked to a friend of mine who works part time at one of the auction places. He said he picked up a BMW at a body shop, drove it to the auction house, and after shutting it down, it would not start again. Turns out the guy at the body shop had a couple of different fobs with him and he started the car with the push button, and then gave them the wrong fob. They had to go back to the body shop, get the correct fob and then all was fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked, the battery is in properly. I towed the vehicle home, it was listed as not starting. The auctions don't tell you why. It only has 24k miles on it, hoping to get it up and running. The Fob is the correct one I believe, it has the Vin tag attached to the key chain.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
You might want to invest in the Techstream software and cable. It should be able to show if that fob is indeed programmed to the pcm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may not have anything to do with the fob. Maybe the 12V battery under the hood is completely dead. Does any electrical feature work like the interior lights?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I checked, the battery is in properly. I towed the vehicle home, it was listed as not starting. The auctions don't tell you why. It only has 24k miles on it, hoping to get it up and running. The Fob is the correct one I believe, it has the Vin tag attached to the key chain.
Devils advocate here....just having a vin tag on the key chain doesn't really prove it's the correct fob.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Devils advocate here....just having a vin tag on the key chain doesn't really prove it's the correct fob.
Exactly right. Never assume anything. Especially when it comes to car dealers and auctions.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well the key part of the fob is right as he opened the door with that. Technically possible that key was inserted into the wrong fob I guess though that would be some bad luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To see what would happen I got in my 2009 RAV without the fob. The drivers door open symbol displayed on the dash and went off when I closed the door. I pushed the start button and there was one beep and the no key symbol displayed on the dash. This is what would happen also if I had the wrong fob. I am waiting to hear if his RAV has a dead battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts