Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passenger side "clinking" noise that is irregular and constant. RPM does not affect it nor does motion of the vehicle.

It started yesterday. I've searched youtube and on the forums as best as I could but nothing sounded like this.

Any ideas what this noise is?

I can't post the video link but it's on youtube as "2009 Rav4 V6 Engine Noise"

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,894 Posts
It sounds to me like your water pump is on the way out. Mine made similar noises and had to be replaced at 42K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was worried about...

There was a high-pitched whining noise that correlated with RPM before this noise but that went away once this started. Does that add to your suspicion?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,894 Posts
That's what I was worried about...

There was a high-pitched whining noise that correlated with RPM before this noise but that went away once this started. Does that add to your suspicion?
Yep, that would be the bearing going out.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I had a whining sound from the right side every morning I drove my wife to work, but amazingly it stopped when I left for the way home.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Could be the pump, but bearing pitch noises usually are RPM - dependent, usually change pitch and volume with RPM variations.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Might be dealing with an RoUSes issue.... Rodents of unusual size may be trapped in your exterior panels.

Does it make the clinking while stationary? Strut housings make clunking noises when they go bad, issue I'm dealing with right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The random clinking is while stationary and moving, and doesn't seem to correlate with RPM. Whereas the high pitched whining directly correlates with RPM both while stationary and moving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts