Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rav4 won’t start. Push button start. The battery is good and the button shows a green light so the fob is good. Car won’t crank at all. Tried moving the shifter while pressing start but still no crank at all. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check for codes if you can. I doubt the battery would be dead all of a sudden. It might turn it over slower, but nothing at all? Honk your horn and if the sound is normal, you have 12 volts.
Might be a safety circuit switch not enabling the car to start. The brake switch has to be pressed right? Check there for an issue. Again a code check should come up with something.
Try your other fob just to make sure.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you perform a load test on battery and alternator?
No I didn’t but the battery is newer and I have tried to use a battery pack on it with no change. Also when I try and start it, the dome light doesn’t flicker at all. It stays stead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check for codes if you can. I doubt the battery would be dead all of a sudden. It might turn it over slower, but nothing at all? Honk your horn and if the sound is normal, you have 12 volts.
Might be a safety circuit switch not enabling the car to start. The brake switch has to be pressed right? Check there for an issue. Again a code check should come up with something.
Try your other fob just to make sure.....
Correct there is no crank at all. All lights are coming on fine. With the brake pedal pressed the push button turns green like normal with both fobs. I can’t do a code check at this time. I’m thinking starter but not sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this is relevent or not but on the traditional key start models (non push button) there is a steering wheel lock that has to be engaged for the vehicle to start. In my 07 Base V6 I have had a few occasions where the key would turn (odd since normally it does not if the steering wheel lock is not engaged....maybe some play in the cylinder?) But the car would not start. Turning the steering wheel hard left while turning key generally results in the car starting. Not sure if there is a similar feature on the push button models (all electronic vs. electromechanical on key start models) but just a thought. Good luck, hope you sorted it out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts