Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First time RAV4 owner and poster on this forum.

Purchased a 2010 2.2TD XT-R. Lovely car (so far), however the driver’s door sounds hollow/tinny when its closed.

Could it be that the door is missing sound proofing? My records show that the car has not been in an accident or had a door replacement. From what I understand the soundproofing shouldn’t be able to come loose (not enough to make it sound hollow). Has anyone else had this issue? and if so, how did you rectify it?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I am not sure if your British model are the same here in North America but the doors are very light. These doors do not have much weight to them and there are no sound proofing materials on mine. I added some material on the doors to help with the sound proofing to keep the vibration down from the speakers. I used vinly adhesive floor tiles since these were cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi DL175,

Many thanks for your swift reply. OK, I will bear that in mind. Its strange as the other doors close with no hollow sound, yet the drivers door closes with a echoey tin clang, as if the door was completely hollow...

If I buy a trim removal tool and take a look in the door panel I might be able to add additional sound proofing...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hi DL175,

Many thanks for your swift reply. OK, I will bear that in mind. Its strange as the other doors close with no hollow sound, yet the drivers door closes with a echoey tin clang, as if the door was completely hollow...

If I buy a trim removal tool and take a look in the door panel I might be able to add additional sound proofing...
You can buy a trim removal tool to remove the door panel but it is not absolutely necessary. What you will end up doing is probably breaking some door clips no matter what. These can be found on Ebay very cheap. Just pull the door trim off with even pressure. Here is a video where the person just pulls the panel without a trim tool.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,530 Posts
I didn't realize how tinny the doors sound on my 2008 RAV4 until I bought a 2015 Chevy Volt last year. That car has a nice THUMP sound when you close the doors. And it has a much higher crash test rating than the RAV4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can buy a trim removal tool to remove the door panel but it is not absolutely necessary. What you will end up doing is probably breaking some door clips no matter what. These can be found on Ebay very cheap. Just pull the door trim off with even pressure. Here is a video where the person just pulls the panel without a trim tool.
Hi DL175, interesteing to know. I have bought a trim removal tool as I also want to tackle the radio/cd player at some point. Im sure I can do something to fix the hollow sound (as silly as it sounds).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize how tinny the doors sound on my 2008 RAV4 until I bought a 2015 Chevy Volt last year. That car has a nice THUMP sound when you close the doors. And it has a much higher crash test rating than the RAV4.
I agree, all my past owned cars have had a reassuring thump when closing. It hasn't helped that we have also bought a 2012 Ford Kuga for my wife so the comparison is very noticable!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I guess 7 years can make a big difference in the design of a car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts