Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 RAV4 with 53,500 miles was diagnosed with leaking rear axle seals on both sides. Dealer is quoting $587 for replacement. Does that seem appropriate for the job? It looks like the parts are not very expensive and it is almost all labor. Regarding the failure, it appears the differential breather can be problematic. I was thinking of having them replace the breather plug with a new one during the job. Has anybody heard of an alternative to twisting the existing breather occasionally to free it from rust, crud, etc.?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Welcome! Haven't done the seal replacement on a RAV but have done similar work on vehicles with "live" rear axles and wasn't difficult, and the seals weren't expensive. Don't know about dealing with the breather problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The breather vent does get plugged with road crud over time. I use grease on mine once a year or so to help keep it from getting blocked.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Maybe it will be worth it to vent the rear diff. Do you have a picture of the OEM vent. In the Tacoma they use a one way valve type diff vent. A popular mod is to run a hose up high. Other than water crossings, the idea is that the vent gets stuck often and the pressure built up inside the diff blows out the seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts