Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has happened twice now, turn the key to start and nothing happens. Wait a while and all is ok. When it goes dead all the dash gauges and lights as well as the interior lights go out. I haven't tried the headlights or horn. This happened yesterday but reconnected in a few minutes. today it had been driven about 30 minutes, then parked. an hour later it wouldn't start. then in another hour it started. We are the original owners it has 80000 miles on it. I would really appreciate some help on this.
Lascar

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The very first thing I'd check is the battery. When RAV4 batteries start to fade, all kinds of crazy stuff happens.

Heat is murder on batteries. If it's the original battery, and in particular if you live in a hot place, that would be where my money is.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Check the battery, battery cables and the connections. Sounds like when it pulls a lot of amps, the electrical connection becomes Compromised

·
Registered
4 Posts
The very first thing I'd check is the battery. When RAV4 batteries start to fade, all kinds of crazy stuff happens.

Heat is murder on batteries. If it's the original battery, and in particular if you live in a hot place, that would be where my money is.

Mine did the same in the cold. Battery solved my problem

·
Registered
268 Posts

That saved me typing, as this is my thought too.
Loose battery connections *will* "act like" a bad battery also. My HD motorcycle tends to loosen its neg. cable clamp.... and will exhibit "dead battery" signs. I have learned to check it every 3-4 months.

Tommy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts