Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been trolling through the forums (and google) trying to figure out what may be going on with my Rav4, and I'm not confident yet what it may be.

In the last couple of months, my 2010 V6 Limited w/AWD (145K miles) has been exhibiting some electrical issues. Pretty sure it is not the battery since it was replaced last September, so it is less than a year old (I've also had it checked at a local auto parts shop - no issues). I'm in Texas, so possible the heat is in play here.

First time I was driving on the highway and noticed the odometer display backlight was flickering. Can't recall exactly what went though my head to try this, but I switched the lights from auto to off, and as I was doing so, the car cycled off and back on by itself - pretty disturbing at highway speeds. I pulled over stopped and restarted the car, and could not find anything concerning with the car. Experienced nothing odd for about a month after. Since then, I've had the flickering again, but haven't had the car restart. I have had the EPS get funky (it feels like it starts/stops the assist intermittently) while I saw the flickering and was at a stop. I've noticed that if the flickering occurs, and I shut the car off, it will completely shut down, then will then cycle back to "on" (without the engine running though).

I've tried driving with a reduced electrical load (lights off during the day, no A/C), and it does seem to keep the flickering at bay.

I've measured the voltage while the car is running, and it consistently hovers around 13.3v. I sometimes see it get as high as 13.6v, and have seen it dip to 12.9v briefly when I turn everything on (heat seaters included). No significant voltage drop between the alternator and the battery, so the connections seem good.

Seems like it may be the alternator, since I have seen in several places that it should be 13.8v-14.8v, but I'm not 100% sure since I've also seen references (not Rav4 specific) that indicate that above 13.0v is okay.

Appreciate any thoughts on whether y'all think the alternator is going south.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
You might want to take your RAV to a reputable auto parts store which will check your alternator for no cost.

Reactions: tball

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, y'all. I went by AZ this morning, and their tool indicated that the voltage regulator was bad - so looking like a new alternator is in my future...

·
Registered
41 Posts
mine did kind of same things. it turned off 4wd and some other things. i cheked the alternator.. it was 13,6.

Later i installed an OBD reader and drove the car. and ONE day i notice the voltage go up to 15V

I read from the service/repair manual, that the car may turn off power steering, 4wd, SRS, traction controll and so on when the voltage goes to high to protect.

Then i was sure that the alternators Voltage regulator was going out.

The Rav4 should have 13,8-14,2V, no less or more.
After replaceing the alternator (had do to it from under the car, take off downpipe and rear transaxle.)

everything was working fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts