Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an older topic, but I just completed an install of a Pioneer HU and successfully moved the factory backup camera. I prefer never to alter a car such that it can't be returned to factory. So for the camera, i just de-pinned the video signal from the mirror to send to the HU.

Removed Overhead console.

Unplug Factory Mirror

Fish out Red and white wires. The Maestro came with a "camera 3" plug which already had an RCA wired up. So i just de-pinned the red and white wires from the factory mirror, and connected them to the Maestro plug. Red to black, white to yellow.

From there it is just a matter of fishing the RCA cable down the a-pillar (along with HU microphone) to the Head Unit.

No messing with power, or hacking wiring. All returnable to a completely factory setup.

I initially intended to find the appropriate male plug matching the Maestro, but while the pin was 99% the same, it had a 'tang' located on the opposite side and didn't fit into the plug. So i just skipped the molex plug and connected the female pin(Toyota side) to the male pin(Maestro side). It is un-supported like this, but I taped it up well.

The mirror does show a blue screen for about 1/2 second when putting into reverse and then turns off. A bit of an annoyance and could possibly be solved by removing a power pin, but i'm good for now with the video signal at the Pioneer.

Overall, it took about 8 hours and 2 phone calls to iData. First phone call revealed the latest firmware did not properly power up the Maestro. Second call to get the RCA cables connected to the correct inputs.

This is probably something like my 30th install over the years, and the most annoying, but the result is excellent.

·
Registered
2011 Barcelona Red Rav4 Sport
30 Posts
I'm planning on installing my Kenwood into my 2011 Rav4 Sport after the dash kit and harness that I ordered get here. I was wanting to move the backup cam video feed from my RV mirror to the Kenwood. So this write-up should definitely help with that. But, I do have a question. What is this Maestro you're referring to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct, Maestro RR. Retains the steering wheel controls, adds obd data, simplified wiring(?).
I am having an issue with the sub woofer not working. Have not connected with iData to fix yet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wouldn't say any of these modern day harness adapter simplify wiring since they try to accommodate everything:
  • amplified and non-amplified audio
  • with and without SWC
  • AUX input
  • factory backup camera
  • OBD2 / diagnostics / TPMS
They simplify by not cutting the wiring harnesses. I bought the CRUX SWRTY-61S for my '06 because it's non-amplified and supports SWC and AUX, also the Metra AX-USB-35EXT to support USB playback for my Pioneer AVH unit. I didn't need the diagnostics stuff.

I bought the PAC Audio RP4.2-TY11 and PAC Audio USB-TY2 to interface with my other vehicle, '12 Highlander w/JBL. It took me some time to finally figure out how everything connects up with the factory camera (6V supply). I've yet to install it, but when I do, I need to de-pin some wires from the MFD (multi-function display) to get the backup camera feed. The original USB and camera harnesses I bought didn't work since neither of them connect up to anything inside, so it was lots of research.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts