Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Smart. I think I'll open up the fill, drop it down to see if anything comes out. Just thinking that if there is extra and its building pressure when hot, it needs to go somewhere. The breather cap to the best of my fingers is not moving. I'll squish a rag with JB penetrant for a few days onto the top cap to see if it will loosen up. I don't know of a good way to spray that breather cap. I'm welcome to any suggestions. THanks ALL.
Try spraying penetrating oil on a small rag and then rub it on the breather valve. Another way is connect a few straws together with heat shrink to make your spray can straw longer. Just make sure you use duct tape on the sprayer nozzle otherwise it will fly away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's classical problem with those pressure relief vents. They rust shut, so when the fluid inside diff heats up, the air that wants to expand has no relief. So the air builds up pressure. It either goes past the CV axle seals (you will see leaking marks) or get forced past the vacuum breather check valve, up on cab compartment.
Seems to me the simple solution would be to continue to saturate the valve with a good penetrant oil with the hopes it loosens up. The alternative seems to be alot of work. sounds like you need to pull the drive shaft off to get a few more inches in that area to try to pry off and replace the valve. Any advise from my RAV friends. Thanks all for your comments. This is our first Toyota and bought it becase it's reliability. Just finding out a few of the issues now. Most issues seem pretty minor at this point.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Seems to me the simple solution would be to continue to saturate the valve with a good penetrant oil with the hopes it loosens up. The alternative seems to be alot of work. sounds like you need to pull the drive shaft off to get a few more inches in that area to try to pry off and replace the valve. Any advise from my RAV friends. Thanks all for your comments. This is our first Toyota and bought it becase it's reliability. Just finding out a few of the issues now. Most issues seem pretty minor at this point.
You may have to do the rag trick a few times but the risk with a rusty breather valve is that it may crumble. That is why I did not attempt to free it. There was a member that had a picture of a rusted breather valve and it looks impossible to free it. Another problem is the spring can break inside due to the amount of rust. If you break the breather valve you would have no choice but to drop the rear differential to remove it. The breather valve is pressed in which means using a deep socket to tap it down This vehicle can last a long time as one member has over 400,000 miles. This is not a trouble free car and there are plenty of problems that you can have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You may have to do the rag trick a few times but the risk with a rusty breather valve is that it may crumble. That is why I did not attempt to free it. There was a member that had a picture of a rusted breather valve and it looks impossible to free it. Another problem is the spring can break inside due to the amount of rust. If you break the breather valve you would have no choice but to drop the rear differential to remove it. The breather valve is pressed in which means using a deep socket to tap it down This vehicle can last a long time as one member has over 400,000 miles. This is not a trouble free car and there are plenty of problems that you can have.
Thanks again. I called the dealer and they said for a very reasonable labor 1/2 hour, they would replace the rear breather. ( I looked at doing it but it is a bunch of work that I don't have time for) I was thinking to have them service the front transfer and swap out that breather too (as I don't know when that was serviced) if this can be done for $150 for all and I'm thrilled. Plus its my little girls and no more diff fluid going up the vent tube and dripping in the wheel well.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Thanks again. I called the dealer and they said for a very reasonable labor 1/2 hour, they would replace the rear breather. ( I looked at doing it but it is a bunch of work that I don't have time for) I was thinking to have them service the front transfer and swap out that breather too (as I don't know when that was serviced) if this can be done for $150 for all and I'm thrilled. Plus its my little girls and no more diff fluid going up the vent tube and dripping in the wheel well.
That labour estimate is on the low side but let us know how it turn out.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts