Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something strange happened. Dont know what or how but when i turn the light switch to "parking light" it doesnt work. No brake lights, no front corner lights. No instrument cluster light.
Ive checked every single fuse by pulling them out 1 by 1 and visually inspecting them. 1 by 1. Nothing is blown.
Signals works just like normal.
Brake and parking lights, instrument cluster lights, return if the main headlights are ON.

On thing different today was i dropped it off at the dealership to get 5 recalls worked on. One of those recalls were ECU flash/update. Would this have anything to do with my sudden lost of parking and brake lights?

Normal brake operation works. Step on brake, taillight lit up.

Everything function normal except no parking lights.
Pressing Lock and Unlock flashes the parking lights like normal.

Yes, ive recheck and triple check the 10a fuse under dash left kick panel. I would think if this fuse was blown, the taillight would not light up when the headlights are ON either.

This is where i can't figure out what the heck is going on.

Any idea?
20200505_232156.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I never trust a visual fuse inspection, always use a test light instead. If you can't do that then test by swapping the fuse in question with one in a circuit you know is working.
I doubt the ECM update changed anything with the lights.
The brake lights are completely separate and are on a live circuit not key controlled.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the continuity with my multimeter on every single fuse and none were bad. They all had continuity.
Im starting to think i have a faulty light switch? It will turn the headlights on fine. But does nothing on parking spot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have viper remote starter. Parking lights turned on when i remote start it and stays on til i step on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
The dealer work order states that they conducted a multi point inspection. My dealer includes a parking light switch test and others but am wondering whether that was included on the check on your RAV4. If it was, the system apparently checked out OK so that would indicate that the dealer work most likely did not cause the problem especially if the check was carried out after all other work had been completed. Good luck - vehicle electrical problems can be baffling!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They've always turned on when using remote start. That's normal. Turned on and stays on until i put the key in the ign, step on the brake pedal. Then they turn off like normal.

What is happening now at this moment.
I get in the car, start it.
It's not dark enough for headlights to be turn on. But i want to turn the parking light on and drive, so people can still see me.
But, turning the knob from the off to the parking position does nothing. It's like there isn't a signal going through.

In the normal situation. You turn car on, turn knob to parking. Cluster will dim, clock will dim. A/C panel will lit up along with haz, diff lock button also light up.

Thats what i expect to see. But it doesn't do that on my rav4 as of late. I dont know if the actual switch is bad or if the remote starter is causing issue?
Ive had this remote starter system for over 5yrs now with no problem. Professionally installed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Problem SOLVED. it was a severed parking light wire under the steering column. I added the Directed Auto On headlight module awhile back. Used one of those tap a wire clip thing and it severed it. I guess from vibrations. Soldered it back together and all is good now.

Thank you all for the inputs.
20200506_145243.jpg

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
We're not understanding each other.....if you remote start the car right now, do the parking lights come on? Maybe I'm thick!

·
Registered
548 Posts
We're not understanding each other.....if you remote start the car right now, do the parking lights come on? Maybe I'm thick!
The remote start connection is likely at a different location where the white wire from the steering column. Since the white wire was severed from the switch, there was no signal to turn it on. However, the remote start can still toggle the parking light since its wire tap is elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts