Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vehicle runs fine, sounds good, starts good. gas mileage has not changed.

took to dealer and they say there is a misfire on cylinder 2 and Head Gaskets need replacement.
$5,000 just for labor !!!!

since car is running fine i am skeptical of spending $5k to do this.

looking for suggestions or options.
car is my daughters and is off at college so i only get to 'see' the car maybe twice a year.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Get a second and third opinion and this time an independent garage instead. Did the dealer reveal what the code was or did they hide that from you? The price is probably a new engine by the sound of it. It is not in your best interest to take a 13 year old car with high mileage to a dealer that is not under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check this posting by Junebug

·
Super Moderator
12,454 Posts
The first step is to clear the codes and see which ones come back. If it is an O2 sensor that's a inexpensive repair. But then I don't see how an O2 sensor would cause a misfire especially only on one cylinder. Kinda impossible IMO.

You haven't said if it's a V6 or an I4 but I can't recall anyone having to replace the head gasket on either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first step is to clear the codes and see which ones come back. If it is an O2 sensor that's a inexpensive repair. But then I don't see how an O2 sensor would cause a misfire especially only on one cylinder. Kinda impossible IMO.

You haven't said if it's a V6 or an I4 but I can't recall anyone having to replace the head gasket on either.
I had cleared the codes initially and drove 14 hours and they never came back on. but was worried so took to garage to get looked at.
probably a bad idea. should of left alone.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,933 Posts
Check the history codes if you can pull them. If not, and there are no codes present, keep running it until the codes come back. If it is a misfire that needs a new head gasket, it should run as rough - as above get a separate opinion from another place you trust

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the history codes if you can pull them. If not, and there are no codes present, keep running it until the codes come back. If it is a misfire that needs a new head gasket, it should run as rough - as above get a separate opinion from another place you trust
engine never ran rough even when the codes came on initially. trying to find a local independent garage that wont try and take my daughter for a ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the coolant level dropping?

Is the coolant or oil showing signs of contamination?

Does the spark plug on the affected cylinder look different to the others?

Compression test would help narrow it down.
for the 14 hours and over 800 miles. coolant never went low or came out of the over flow. even sitting still for close to an hour and stand still traffic, 85 degrees outside and surrounded by tractor trailers and cars. not once did the temp go above normal.
daughter got the car back from the dealer today.
they told her she should not drive it !!!
they took out all the coolant and put in just water. they said it was over flowing and spraying out the overflow cap.

can't wait to call and talk to someone in service tomorrow. the car drove over 1600 miles in 7 days worth of driving. only ONCE did the lights come on. i wanted to be safe so I told her to take it to dealer, now i regret it since car was running fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the head gasket is bad you will loose coolant and it will not maintain normal operating temperature.

All the 4.3s seem to blow coolant out the overflow until the level sits just under the "min" line when cold. Bad radiator cap will also cause it to blow out.

Don't leave just water in the cooling system for long.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Once I changed air filter, and did not noticed right away the rubber hose from air filter cover to motor disconnected. I had all the lights on in the dashboard. Repair was easy. Check fuel tank cap. There is a rubber gasket. Might need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
12,454 Posts
daughter got the car back from the dealer today.
they told her she should not drive it !!!
they took out all the coolant and put in just water. they said it was over flowing and spraying out the overflow cap.
Can't wait to call and talk to someone in service tomorrow.
I wouldn't even bother calling them. You'll just get more BS probably with dire warnings that she will get stranded if you don't pay them big bucks. They may be trying to take advantage of her being a young girl.

Don't ever go anywhere near that dealer again. Find an independent shop to do an evaluation and possibly run a compression test while they're changing the spark plugs just for good measure.

An easy test for a failing head gasket is letting the engine idle until it comes up to operating temperature with the radiator cap off. A steady stream of bubbles that doesn't stop or it forcing a lot of water out indicates a problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,454 Posts
Reactions: rdrabick

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Our 2011 threw some warning lights and I pulled a cylinder #2 misfire code with my OBD II reader. I removed that spark plug and found the center electrode was gone! These were replacement ND OEM plugs with only about 10,000 miles on them. I replaced that one plug and it’s been running fine since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts