Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Rav 4 has 53000 easy miles on it, started last week with this whining, roaring sounds, would only last a short time go away, noticed it at 1st start in am when cold, then next day it happened more freq. We called to set up appointment with Toyota dealer! So we drove it to town same as usual, it had rained the sounds stopped OK we thought brakes, as the sounds seems like it is coming from right rear wheel area. So we stopped got brakes Hubby put them on same night,Took the car away drove it noticed high pitch sounds like the wheels on trains screeching and at times it sounded like a flute BUT next day which is actually the 4th day after this whole thing started, Thinking all is well I drove the car 4 mile to town and all of a sudden I heard this awful clunking, roaring, banging sounds coming from again the right rear side, so I parked car, hubby came got it and towed it to the Toyota Garage, That was Friday morning, Today is Tuesday our appointment was at 915 am, they called today to say it would be a couple days need to order parts as the noise was coming from the timing????? we are not to sure on this BUT I wanted to post to see if anyone else had this issue,, OH 1 more thing we also had a funny rattle when we'd start up car in morning , they said that is put of the timing issue,, Please post your ideas please on this matter, does it sound reasonable???

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
4 or 6 cyl? 2 or 4 WD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 or 6 cyl? 2 or 4 WD?
Sorry, I forgot to add that it is a 4 cyl AWD,,, also right after we purchased the car in 2010 not many miles at all we had a problem with exhaust system they had to replace the whole thing. This is our 3rd Rav4 never had issues before!

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
Right, a timing belt or chain noise would distinctly come from the front and enough of a problem to make lots of noise would make the engine run bad if it even did run. So that explanation sounds suspicious.

If the exhaust was making that much noise it would have to be falling off.

Some failure in the rear suspension would cause handling issues.

Could be a rear wheel bearing but hopefully isn't the rear differential/electro coupler. $$$$ :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts