Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 / 4cyl. / 2WD /Base model
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no mechanic, but I'm learning what I can as I go. I am hoping that someone here could help me determine what is likely the cause and some general guidance towards me fixing it.

2010 TOYOTA RAV4
Base // Automatic // 4 cyl // 2WD

Recent maint. Performed:
-- Oil/air filter change (~2 mos).
-- Front & Rear brake pad & rotor replacement (~3 mos.)

CURRENT MAINT. ISSUES*
Humming Noise
Started suddenly, does not seem to affect driving, no warning lights lit on dashboard.

While idling (from cold start) there is a humming noise coming from (looked under the hood, best guess) the front portion of the engine.

Humming gets louder when revving the engine while in park and when driving at low speeds (higher speeds not sure, can't hear).

Squeaking/Squealing Noise
Started after I changed out the front and rear breaks and rotors. (All parts purchased new)

Noise most noticable at low speeds, hard to determine if it is more audible while breaking or accelerating, but seems to relate to both/either.

No noticable affect on function of vehicle in any way.

Tire Pressure Warning Light
Dashboard indicator light stays on even after manually checking each tire to confirm proper inflation.

That's all for now.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated -- anything to get my wife off my rear!

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
216 Posts
Plus 1 for the spare tyre if you have one - if not, are you able to scan the tyre pressures to see what the module "thinks" the pressures are - may give you direction to look at.

Brakes - just a couple of thoughts, and not saying you have done any of these. Did you lube the pads and slide pins with the appropriate paste? Are the anti squeal shims and brackets fitted properly back in to the pads/calipers? Did you fully clean the hubs before putting rotors on - any rust may cause small run out. Any contaminates on the rotors/pads?

Humming is difficult - may be a bearing going out on one of the ancillary belts/components. From your words, I think your Rav is an auto box, so not likely to be the thrust bearing in the manual gearbox.

As I say, not these are just some thoughts, not suggesting you have done anything wrong. Please let us know if you do solve them :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I'm learning what I can as I go. I am hoping that someone here could help me determine what is likely the cause and some general guidance towards me fixing it.

2010 TOYOTA RAV4

Recent maint. Performed:

CURRENT MAINT. ISSUES*
Humming Noise
Started suddenly, does not seem to affect driving, no warning lights lit on dashboard.

While idling (from cold start) there is a humming noise coming from (looked under the hood, best guess) the front portion of the engine.

Humming gets louder when revving the engine while in park and when driving at low speeds (higher speeds not sure, can't hear).

Started after I changed out the front and rear breaks and rotors. (All parts purchased new)

Noise most noticable at low speeds, hard to determine if it is more audible while breaking or accelerating, but seems to relate to both/either.

Dashboard indicator light stays on even after manually checking each tire to confirm proper inflation.

That's all for now.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated -- anything to get my wife off my rear!
While idling (from a cold start) there is a humming noise. This could be a heat shield that has come in contact with something near the exhaust system. Tire Pressure Warning Light, most likely the battery has gone bad inside the valve stem, so it's not commuting. After I changed out the front and rear breaks and rotors squealing/scraping sound.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
2010 TOYOTA RAV4
Recent maint. Performed:
CURRENT MAINT. ISSUES*
Humming Noise

That's all for now.

I have a 2010 V6 AWD. According to the manual, when you first start the car, if the TPMS light blinks for 1 minute, then goes on steady, it means you have a defective sensor. If it goes on steady right away, it means a low tire. I drove around for a few months with the blinker, then had new tires and all 5 sensors replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2010 V6 AWD. According to the manual, when you first start the car, if the TPMS light blinks for 1 minute, then goes on steady, it means you have a defective sensor. If it goes on steady right away, it means a low tire. I drove around for a few months with the blinker, then had new tires and all 5 sensors replaced.
Thanks for the tip -- the TPMS light does initially blink for a minute then go steady which as you noted indicates a bad sensor.

You mentioned 5 sensors -- is there a sensor where the spare is mounted?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brakes - just a couple of thoughts, and not saying you have done any of these. Did you lube the pads and slide pins with the appropriate paste? Are the anti squeal shims and brackets fitted properly back in to the pads/calipers? Did you fully clean the hubs before putting rotors on - any rust may cause small run out. Any contaminates on the rotors/pads?
The break pads/rotor replacement was my first time doing the job myself. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't lube as needed (I did use lube on the bolts and clips, maybe not enough?)

I guess the best route for me to take would be to remove and reinstall the brake pads to see where I may have messed up.

Side note -- my rotors already have rust on them -- is that cause for concern?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While idling (from a cold start) there is a humming noise. This could be a heat shield that has come in contact with something near the exhaust system. Tire Pressure Warning Light, most likely the battery has gone bad inside the valve stem, so it's not commuting. After I changed out the front and rear breaks and rotors squealing/scraping sound.
The video was very informative, thank you for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE TO HUMMING PROBLEM
I did some further inspection to try and pinpoint the source of the sound and I've narrowed it down to the front passenger side, close to the wheel well.
I inspected all the belts I could see, all looked in good condition, tight. (When idling, the belt does seem to "wobble" very slightly but not enough to be concerned about.)

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
216 Posts
The break pads/rotor replacement was my first time doing the job myself. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't lube as needed (I did use lube on the bolts and clips, maybe not enough?)

I guess the best route for me to take would be to remove and reinstall the brake pads to see where I may have messed up.

Side note -- my rotors already have rust on them -- is that cause for concern?
Rotors will "rust" up quickly if you leave them for a short while if they get wet - I would be more concerned if they did not "clean up" after using the car. Are they clean after use?

I guess the other thing to check could be to burp the rubber covers on the slide pins. When you first put the pins back in with new lube (did you clean the old lube out of the rubber and caliper?) push the pin right in, then use a pocket screwdriver just to lift one edge of the rubber to let out any trapped air - this will allow as much movement on the pins as possible.

Again, just my thoughts, hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
216 Posts
Thanks for the tip -- the TPMS light does initially blink for a minute then go steady which as you noted indicates a bad sensor.

on ours, the spare wheel is mounted on the rear door - I assume you may have the appearance package, which has no wheel I believe

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you do a repair just do one item, if anything seems odd afterwards you can investigate and see what was the problem. You now have several problems and it's become a nightmare. Try and do one item, fix like the brakes. Then move on to your other issues.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

Yes the spare is included in the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you do a repair just do one item, if anything seems odd afterwards you can investigate and see what was the problem. You now have several problems and it's become a nightmare. Try and do one item, fix like the brakes. Then move on to your other issues.
Sound advice, sir. Considering my lack of expertise in auto mechanics, the prospect of trying to fix more than one of these issues at a time isnt something I could handle. My goal at this point was to figure out what is likely causing these issues and thus having some basis on which issue requires my more immediate attention (prioritizing).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sound advice, sir. Considering my lack of expertise in auto mechanics, the prospect of trying to fix more than one of these issues at a time isnt something I could handle. My goal at this point was to figure out what is likely causing these issues and thus having some basis on which issue requires my more immediate attention (prioritizing).
Google is your friend!

·
Registered
403 Posts
10- 11 years... time for a new set of TPMS sensors. Been there and done that on my 2009.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts