Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I have the death rattle on cold start. I know the TSB that was released and everything. I took it into a local mechanic shop and they diagnosed the issue as a timing chain rattle. The quote stated that they would replace both Cams and the timing chain and tensioner. The quote was 3k CAD. Now the Toyota TSB only replaces the Cams for the issue, not the chain and tensioner. My cars got 137k KILOMETERS which translates to about 87K Miles. That seems WAY too early to do a timing chain. Should I trust the mechanic or just opt for the cam to be done?

·
Registered
45 Posts
So it looks like I have the death rattle on cold start. I know the TSB that was released and everything. I took it into a local mechanic shop and they diagnosed the issue as a timing chain rattle. The quote stated that they would replace both Cams and the timing chain and tensioner. The quote was 3k CAD. Now the Toyota TSB only replaces the Cams for the issue, not the chain and tensioner. My cars got 137k KILOMETERS which translates to about 87K Miles. That seems WAY too early to do a timing chain. Should I trust the mechanic or just opt for the cam to be done?
In my case, it was the intake cam only and no chain. This fixed the issue. I am not sure if the other cam is susceptible to the same issue or not. The chain and tensioner...this at most should only be parts, no labor since it’s already apart. I paid $500 at the dealer and corporate paid the other $500 because of just being outside the 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my case, it was the intake cam only and no chain. This fixed the issue. I am not sure if the other cam is susceptible to the same issue or not. The chain and tensioner...this at most should only be parts, no labor since it’s already apart. I paid $500 at the dealer and corporate paid the other $500 because of just being outside the 100,000 mile warranty.
The warranty was 6 years for Canadians. So missed it by about 4 years. I don’t think corporate would do a good Will thing for me. Which year and engine do you have? Has the problem returned since?

·
Registered
45 Posts
2010 4cyl. I recently upgraded to a 2019. We only keep a vehicle 10 years. We had the vehicle for another 10k miles after repair and no issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the cold start death rattle on my 2006 rav4. It got worse as the days grew by. My mechanic replaced my fan belt with a slightly shorter one and it stopped. Fan belt was 2000 naira

1 - 6 of 6 Posts