Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, typically wet wintery day out in MN, started my 2010 Rav4 (V6) and 4 warning lights came on; ABS, 4WD, Brake & Slip Indicator. Did not take long to realize I had lost the following functions:
  • Only front wheels operating now (no 4 wheel drive at all)(Front wheels spin in snow easily)
  • ABS not working
  • TRAC not working (front wheels spin)
  • VSC: Slip control, or slide control not working
Is this a malfunction of the Active Torque Control? (Switching from 2 wheel to all wheel drive)
Hoping for some insight before bringing in for repair. Also, cruise control just blinks if I try to use that.
Thank you and happy to provide more information if helpful.

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
We've seen this many times and I have too. You most likely have a failed or faltering ABS wheel sensor and will need to read the Skid Control ECU codes to determine which one. The procedure is explained near the end of post 2 here: Check Engine Light/VSC & 4WD lights explained
Don't mess with any fuses in the picture.
You'll probably get lots of codes so what I did when I kept my half paperclip handy was cleared the codes and checked them again ASA an error light came on.
Back when the sensors were $150 or so I actually got by for awhile just restarting the car until the lights stayed off. Now they're $15-20.
Sure does make you realize how effective 4WD is when it goes away!

·
Registered
342 Posts
We've seen this many times and I have too. You most likely have a failed or faltering ABS wheel sensor and will need to read the Skid Control ECU codes to determine which one. The procedure is explained near the end of post 2 here: Check Engine Light/VSC & 4WD lights explained
You'll probably get lots of codes so what I did when I kept my half paperclip handy was cleared the codes and checked them again ASA an error light came on. Back when the sensors were $150 or so I actually got by for awhile just restarting the car until the lights stayed off. Now they're $15-20.
What Dr Dyno said. Lol!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll probably get lots of codes so what I did when I kept my half paperclip handy was cleared the codes and checked them again ASA an error light came on.
Back when the sensors were $150 or so I actually got by for awhile just restarting the car until the lights stayed off. Now they're $15-20.
Thank you Sir! It is a big relief to know what's going on and have a plan. I can work on the codes tomorrow at work. (indoors). If I am able to determine which sensor it is, do I attempt to replace it myself?....or take it in and have my local garage do it? Not sure the level of difficulty on this. I work on what I can....(rebuild ATV starter etc) but certainly have my limitations. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
Changing an ABS especially a rear one is quite easy with a little patience and I believe the front one is too.
Post your come-back codes if you can't figure them out.

Meantime the only issue with a bad sensor is loss of the systems you're experiencing.
When mine rear ones were failing it was kinda fun experiencing that V6 smoking the front tires at will. Getting some torque steer - fun! Of course it was on dry roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed on power of that V6. Makes it quite a fun little SUV. Just put new tires on and that tread is precious in the winters up here. I appreciate your help and these forums are a wonderful thing. Thank You

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to O'Reilly Parts Store and they kindly put their Bosch Code Reader on. Two codes came up, both ABS...1201 and 1408. From what I can find online, looks like the left rear "speed sensor" is malfunctioning. Does that sound accurate and is that something I can replace? Thank You

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I went to O'Reilly Parts Store and they kindly put their Bosch Code Reader on. Two codes came up, both ABS...1201 and 1408. From what I can find online, looks like the left rear "speed sensor" is malfunctioning. Does that sound accurate and is that something I can replace? Thank You
You may find this video helpful.

·
Super Moderator
9,422 Posts
You may find this video helpful.
Waddaya mean "may" find it helpful? That video practically does it for you! I'm adding it to the sticky.
The only thing I'd add at 6:45 is cleaning the flat surface where the sensor seats to maintain correct clearance to the tone ring for the new sensor.
And you'll need new 10 mm nuts for any of the three you break.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success! Was able to put the new ABS speed sensor assembly on and all is good. Thank you Fred for your spot on diagnosis and help, and also thanks DL175 for the video. Things went fairly smoothly and figure I saved about $300. Could not have done it without your help. Next time your in St. Paul MN I'm buying the beverages. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts