Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

Recently I bought an 2010 Toyota RAV4 in California, to summarize it's an 2 wheel drive and 4 cylinder (2.5L) model manufactured in Japan. One big mistake I did is that I didn't check the vehicle fully as it was looking very clean and have only 63K on the meter so I paid the seller but there was more to what was looking in front I soon realize that this vehicle met an accident from front left side and the seller told me that it's just a cosmetic damage. I ended up changing following components -->

Front CV shaft (driver side)
All 3 engine mounts (transmission, front & back)
Console Meter ( the one that I had has been tempered with and that's why no engine lights or abs lights were on)
Two wheels as they were bent from inside
Transmission speed sensor (twice)
Rear brake pads
Front Seat belts

Most of the parts except the mechanical one I bought from Ebay as it was cheaper there then going to dealer but Speed Sensor, mounts, shaft & brakes are from Autozone.

This fixed the driving issues that I had initially but as soon as I fixed new meter I noticed following things -->
ABS, Brake & Traction control lights were constantly on
Engine lights, Airbag and Power steering light are also on
Speedometer is not working
Miles on the display are not increasing
Power steering is very hard

I tried connecting OBD-2 scanner and found there is one error code 0P5000, with the help of this forum I did my analysis and found that it's transmission speed sensor error so I changed it twice but still no luck.
Then I tried Connecting the Pin 4 and 13 method to light up the Christmas tree and it did lit up, I am attaching the video of the same. ABS, Brake and Traction light remains constantly on while as Engine, Airbag and P/s are giving some code which I was unable to decode and looking forward for your help.

I did showed it to one garage and they said that they checked the wiring and all 4 ABS sensor and they are fine but it's from ABS module. They asked me to go to Toyota dealer. Of-course Toyota dealers are on their looting streak so they quote me 3500 for ABS module, reprogramming it and labor.

I seriously need some help as most of the things I learned from this forum only. :nerd
Kindly see the attached video and if possible please guide me what to do with this situation as I've already invested too much in this car and can't return it to seller.

Thanks in advance for your support, I really appreciate this forum for knowledge.

NOTE -- Unable to attach .mp4 video here, any suggestions what other format I can attach this video in.

Regards,
GREATONERAHUL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Following is the blink pattern of lights -->

Power Steering - 4 - 2 - 4- 2
Engine -- 2-4-3-1
AIRBAG -- 3-2-5-7-5-7-5

Please help.

I can send the video of the lights on the console to your mail id as I'm unable to attach it here.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
My first step has always been to reset the codes and see which come back first.
Also note that some very ominous codes like the one for the ABS module can be caused by simple things. I had a similar one caused by a disconnected ground in my trailer taillight converter.

In this case I'd investigate a common cause such as a weak battery or loose or missing ground connection.

BTW, to combat spam new members can't post links until 5 posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dr.Dyno for your help here. Even after clearing several times the error code 0P5000 (Vehicle speed sensor) keeps popping up and I changed that twice still no luck. sometimes even after taking the key out I can still up/down power windows and stereo can still work but this happens only sometimes, is this because of some electrical issue? where should I start looking. Because all the lights on dashboard are on I can't go for SMOG and registration. Any idea how to find the faulty ground cable since there are so many places where ground is used in the vehicle?
I will surely get the battery tested too. Still I want to know what that blinking pattern of light is pointing at -->

Power Steering - 4 - 2 - 4- 2
Engine -- 2-4-3-1
AIRBAG -- 3-2-5-7-5-7-5

Do I need to change the ABS module? I can change the module but don't know how to re-program it, the repair shop folks were saying only Toyota can do that but I highly doubt on that.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Seems like this RAV4 has a myriad of issues possibly caused by accident damage and then likely compounded by other tampering. An OBDII scanner isn't going to identify all of them and the 4-13 jumper method is going to lead to more frustration than repair. IMO, you'll definitely need an All-systems scanner to make headway. I have an Autel that works well but JuneBug recently posted info about a less expensive one.
So either invest some $$ there or take it to Toyota and leave your Credit Card, one with a high limit!
As for bad ground connections I'd do a thorough search in the area of the body damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dr. Dyno,
Can you please give me model number of your scanner can Innova scanner be good as I see so many good reviews in Amazon for that. Or I will just buy one from Autozone and if doesn't work out I will return it back?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Any scanner listed as "all systems" should work. If you post a link I'll take a look.
(You should be able to on your next post, your 5th.)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
James, I looked thru your review and saw a lot of OBDII functions. Does it also do the 4-13 systems like ABS, 4WD, SRS, etc?
Yes, as you can see from these photos:

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Yes, as you can see from these photos:

Yeah, I figured it must but didn't scroll far enough down your first post.
And that wheel/vehicle speed data ought to be real handy for the OP to diagnose his speedometer problem. (I used the same screen on my Autel to doublecheck a bad front wheel speed sensor on a friend's Buick I was selling. It's kinda fun driving down the road with three wheels going 40 and one at 0!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dr. Dyno and JuneBug for your valuable inputs, I'm gonna buy it fro Amazon. I also ordered a used ABS module from Ebay. Thought of changing it myself.
Anyone in the forum ever done re-programming of ABS Module?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts