Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 RAV4 4WD le model. When AC button pushed, light on button lights up, but did not feel compressor starting, air is not cool. No MG CLT relay in the fuse box at driver side under hood. HTR fuse and other fuses good. Any idea what is the problem?

·
Registered
243 Posts
2010 RAV4 4WD le model. When AC button pushed, light on button lights up, but did not feel compressor starting, air is not cool. No MG CLT relay in the fuse box at driver side under hood. HTR fuse and other fuses good. Any idea what is the problem?
First step is to see what your freon pressure is on the low port.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. Never done anything on ac before. It is learning process for me. I won't get to the car until the weekend, so I have a few days to do some home work. I will try to follow your instruction. How do I identify which port is the low port?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Never done anything on ac before. It is learning process for me. I won't get to the car until the weekend, so I have a few days to do some home work. I will try to follow your instruction. How do I identify which port is the low port?
Go to your local walmart and pick these 2 things up:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-R-134A-Recharge-Hose-and-Gauge/36158901

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/391598882357_/SUPERTECH-AUTO-AIR-CONDITIONING-REFRIGERANT-R-134a-NEW.jpg (or some brand comparable.)

Once you're home, simply take the recharge hose mechanism and screw it onto the 8oz can of freon, tightly and quickly as to not waste any freon.

Then on the car, looks for the a/c with a greenish cap on it with an "L". It will look similar to this...

http://acprocold.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AC-Pro-How-To-Find-Low-Pressure-AC-Port-AC-1.jpg

The low pressure line is always thicker than the high pressure line. Also, the gauge will not hook onto the high pressure line. You'll notice it once you take cap off.

Let us know what you come up with!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put the pressure gauge on the low port without connecting to the r134a can. The pressure reading is about 85psi! Current temperature is 73F. Was my gauge not accurate? I was expecting low pressure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm actually going through the exact same problem. I have a 2011 with the i4. I bought the scan tool and used techstream. There were no codes stored. I could command the compressor on, but can't get it to come on without the scantool. I checked everything out and it seemed to point to the a/c amplifier. So I bought a new one for $300 and it still won't work. It's gonna have to go to the dealer before I end up replacing the ECM, because idk what else it could be. Hopefully yours is an easier fix.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm actually going through the exact same problem. I have a 2011 with the i4. I bought the scan tool and used techstream. There were no codes stored. I could command the compressor on, but can't get it to come on without the scantool. I checked everything out and it

seemed to point to the a/c amplifier. So I bought a new one for $300 and it still won't work. It's gonna have to go to the dealer before I end up replacing the ECM, because idk what else it could be. Hopefully yours is an easier fix.
No. I haven't found out the problem yet. Does your AC fan go on when you turn on compressor with techstream? Let me know what the dealer says when you take it in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the car to a local repair store who just told me it was the compressor and would take ~$1600 to get it fixed. Does it make sense based the symptoms and is the price reasonable?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I took the car to a local repair store who just told me it was the compressor and would take ~$1600 to get it fixed. Does it make sense based the symptoms and is the price reasonable?
I would get a second opinion just to make sure!

Did you goto Toyota dealer for your estimate. They should give you a list of the parts that need to be changed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A common problem with older Toyota A/C is a loose ground wire on the compressor housing. Both my '03 Sequoia and my B-I-L '08 Camry would cool for a few minutes but then stop cooling and the A/C light would flash. Find the ground wire going to the compressor and make sure it is clean (use a small wire brush) and the connection is tight. Solved both of our problems. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thank you, 2003rav4lover, for detailed information. Just want to Walmart and got these 2 items. Are these ok? The instructions on package says do not over charge. How much pressure should it be charged?
The image you posted didn't come through. Try it again please.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, everybody, for nice information and suggestions. Took it to another local repair shop for second opinion. It was a bad compressor. Had it replaced and the final repair cost was ~$1000.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thank you, everybody, for nice information and suggestions. Took it to another local repair shop for second opinion. It was a bad compressor. Had it replaced and the final repair cost was ~$1000.
Good to hear you got it working.

Did they give you a list of the parts they changed?

Was it only the compressor that was changed?

This information may help other people having the same problem!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ouch! If you did it yourself, it would have been about $300 or less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing a 2009 RAV4 LE v6 compressor myself now. Changed out the condenser already. How to do you get the AC compressor out of the engine once unbolted?

I have a new one waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My AC was not working and blowing outside air and I was able to fix my AC 2011 Rav4 LE v4 by using a piece of magnet and saved over $2000. The problem was a faulty AC flow sensor on the compressor and by adding the magnet it amplify the weak signal for the computer system to work correctly. I followed procedures provided on this link below:
I put magnetic on, it turned on the fan and AC, I had to also add some refrigerant since it was low. The AC is now working great and cold.

RX350 2010/2011 Air conditioning DTC B1479 cheap solution - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
The solution is provided by User OjeG, scroll down and read for this easy fix. Took me 15 minutes from start to finish.
Reply #88 by user OjeG for Easy fix with Neodymium magnet

·
Registered
1 Posts
JohnusI52, we've been driving our 2010 Rav4 with no A/C for almost two years because I refused to pay the high cost for a shop repair. Last night after reading this I finally decided that I'd had enough so I put two magnets (approximately the diameter of a nickel) directly over the control valve (flow sensor) on the compressor, cleaned the surrounding surface and put a piece of duct tape over the magnets to make sure they stay put. I was skeptical at first, but when I got in and pushed the AC button and the vents started blowing cold air I thought to myself, If I had known about this two years ago it could have saved me a lot of grief!!

Thanks for sharing this.(y)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts