Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I've been scratching my head due to the lack of instructional videos online. My rear diff is leaking gear oil out the driver's side of the diff where the axel goes into it. I'm guessing a bad seal? How difficult would this be to replace? Do you know if I would only need to purchase just the seal or would I need anything in addition? I've replaced a pinion seal on an older Dodge Dakota, but I'm thinking the axle seal will be much more difficult, as I'm sure I'll need to drop the diff. Also, WHERE is this differential breather cap located!? I've looked (and felt) all over and I just can't seem to find anything. It's really tight up in there so I'm not sure if I'm just missing it to see if it's corroded and locked up where it's not venting properly. Any suggestions/help would be great. Sure don't feel like spending $500+ at the shop for them to replace this if it's something I could likely do myself in my garage. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The rear differential could have been over filled so that is one of the easiest to check. One of the main cause of the rear differential seal leaking is the breather cap is plugged up with road gunk. When the breather cap is plugged up it has no way to vent so the seals blow. You need to clear the breather tube so it can vent out with some time of cleaning fluid. Work the breather cap so it can go up and down. It is very hard to get to the breather cap which is on the top of the rear differential. Some use a rag to soak the breather cap.

Please read your other thread you forgot about : https://www.rav4world.com/threads/rear-differential-breather.302361/#post-2739854

1 - 2 of 2 Posts