Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a hitch to put on my 2010 Rav4 Limited AWD 4 cyl. I removed the rear tow hook but there were only two bolts, passenger side didn't have any. I'm looking for two bolts I can purchase so I can mount the hitch.
I've been everywhere locally and nobody has anything that will work. Toyota dealer just wants to sell me their hitch kit. Dealer did point out the bolts I have are grade 9.
Does anyone know the dimensions of the bolts I need? They also have a pretty heavy duty washer on them.
I apologize if this is a noob question, I just don't know how to get the dimensions of the bolt.
Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
Had the same issue when I bought a used hitch receiver. The bolts are a metric thread, I think the same size as the ones you removed. Any hardware store has them so take one in an match it up. I'd suggest buying four a little longer ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I did stop by Lowe's and Home Depot but we couldn't find anything with the same thread. There are a couple local hardware places a little out of my way that I'll be visiting tomorrow morning so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
An automotive store may carry metric bolts. Just bring one along with you if the hardware store doesn't carry them.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thanks guys,
I did stop by Lowe's and Home Depot but we couldn't find anything with the same thread. There are a couple local hardware places a little out of my way that I'll be visiting tomorrow morning so we'll see how that goes.
I have never not found a bolt or nut at Lowes I was looking for...they have a bolt/nut thingie that you can match the bolt size up to...don't look just on the racks as many hard to find stuff is in the drawers...I think I used grade 8 bolts...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
ACE hardware rules. I rarely fail to find what I need. (Aside, about thirty years ago I bought out a whole Sharon Fasteners section of an ACE that was going out of business. 10¢ to the dollar.)

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Every hitch I've ever bought new came with the mounting hardware, did you contact the hitch mfr? Ace and True Value both carry metric fasteners, but I don't think they carry anything that big here, Fastenal would be another place to try locally.

https://www.fastenal.com/locations

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Every hitch I've ever bought new came with the mounting hardware, did you contact the hitch mfr? Ace and True Value both carry metric fasteners, but I don't think they carry anything that big here, Fastenal would be another place to try locally.

https://www.fastenal.com/locations
I would not bet on Fastenal having the parts in-stock, and I live in the town of Fastenal headquarters and manufacturing; where they have a huge retail shop. ACE is the place for me.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I would not bet on Fastenal having the parts in-stock, and I live in the town of Fastenal headquarters and manufacturing; where they have a huge retail shop. ACE is the place for me.

The local Fastenal has a good supply stock, but the manager won't allow anything to be sold by the piece, just by the box, so I no longer go there, Ace and True Value almost always have what I need, and if not there's a bolt supply house to wait in line at, it's a pretty busy place unfortunately, pick a number when coming thru the door. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Ace had a much larger selection of metric items and I found exactly what I needed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have never not found a bolt or nut at Lowes I was looking for...they have a bolt/nut thingie that you can match the bolt size up to...don't look just on the racks as many hard to find stuff is in the drawers...I think I used grade 8 bolts...
Thanks everyone. Ace had a much larger selection of metric items and I found exactly what I needed.
Since it is a metric bolt it will not be a grade 8. Metric bolts are rated in class and identified by a number not the "starbust lines", that SAE bolts are rated with. In fact if you bought a metric bolt with the "8.8" stamped on it you are getting about a grade 5 (6ish but they dont make those) bolt.

What you NEED for HITCH BOLTS is a class "10.9", which is equivalent to a grade 8.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Continued confusion possible because the U.S. still uses SAE fasteners with their rating system for some applications while most of the rest of the world and many in the U.S. have switched to metric fasteners with their rating system. Was a real hassle for me as a teacher and for kids in farm country trying to teach about the two different systems and with boys often having to work with both systems regarding cars, trucks, farm machinery, motorcycles, snowmobiles, quads, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts