Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Rav4 Limited I-4 4WD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my liftgage is driving me absolutely insane, whenever I hit large bumps it sounds like a thump coming from the door itself. Unrelated to this problem I've recently put in new front Shocks/Struts, all 4 sway bars and rear struts in (I didn't do the coils as they don't look bad and they seem to still absorb shock well). I've also put a rubber shim on the lower latch to try to reduce the noise as well as Electrical tap on the U-Latch, I've put socks in between the spare tire and plastic housing thinking it might be that, the jack is also secure in it's place, all to no avail. It seems there is a little play near the top of the housing between the body and the tire itself and I haven't attempted to snug the lug nuts yet which will be my next step. My next thought is that if that fails I will either have to replace the Door Check (I busted one of the screws today when I tried to tighten it up) and or the Door latch and hardware to resolve this. Anyone else have a suggestion I may have missed along the way? I don't believe it's a Tie Rod issue either. I see a lot of posts claiming the door latch itself is the culprit but I don't want to have to pop the trim twice so I might just do it all at once. I attached a few pictures also

Attachments

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The electrical tape on the u latch solved my rattle noise. Check your spare tire if it is loose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The electrical tape on the u latch solved my rattle noise. Check your spare tire if it is loose.
I went a head and ordered all the parts anyways (other than the door check. I found a replacement part for my Door Latch on ebay it's aftermarket since I'm not going to pay $400 brand new. I'll update when I get the parts and put them together. I really hope this does it.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Suggest checking also to make certain that the conical-shaped rubber door bumpers on the inside top and bottom of the hatch door on the latch side are in place. Other owners with the same problem have sometimes reported that they are missing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suggest checking also to make certain that the conical-shaped rubber door bumpers on the inside top and bottom of the hatch door on the latch side are in place. Other owners with the same problem have sometimes reported that they are missing.
Yes, all those are there.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Yes, all those are there.
Have not had this problem with my RAV4 but with another vehicle I shimmed the rubber door bumper contact points with thick tape - possibly adhesive spot pads available at DIYs and hardware stores would work even better. Shimming stopped the back door rattle which I had.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have not had this problem with my RAV4 but with another vehicle I shimmed the rubber door bumper contact points with thick tape - possibly adhesive spot pads available at DIYs and hardware stores would work even better. Shimming stopped the back door rattle which I had.
I've done that already, that was actually the first thing I did and it doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after finally getting it into a mechanic, it ended up being the mount to the new shock I put in, it was loose at the top mount and clanging around...ugh.:censored:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts