Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to get a few spare keys made. Mine has the key with the transponder security chip inside the rubber/plastic head (not the "smart" key fob).

The car salesman showed me that I could buy the new keys off ebay for cheap, but I'm sure the dealer will charge an arm and a leg to program the transponder, though I would argue they shouldn't charge more than an hour's worth of labor ($80-100 at most dealerships). Surely they could program several keys in under an hour?

Would like to know what others have done. I'm sure there's a programmer you can get and DIY but I don't know how risky or expensive that would be (FYI, I'm an electrical engineer).
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Would like to get a few spare keys made. Mine has the key with the transponder security chip inside the rubber/plastic head (not the "smart" key fob).

The car salesman showed me that I could buy the new keys off ebay for cheap, but I'm sure the dealer will charge an arm and a leg to program the transponder, though I would argue they shouldn't charge more than an hour's worth of labor ($80-100 at most dealerships). Surely they could program several keys in under an hour?

Would like to know what others have done. I'm sure there's a programmer you can get and DIY but I don't know how risky or expensive that would be (FYI, I'm an electrical engineer).
Thanks,
Jason
This might help you ! I bought my key from EBAY (make sure you check you key to see if its marked with a dot or G). Go to locksmith to get it cut !!I paid 3.00 then use techstream to add and program key to you car

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92843-adding-extra-key-using-techstream.html

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thank you so much! Techstream seems like the way to go.
Glad to help. I would buy the Mini VCI Cable and Keys from a US SELLER on Ebay or you will have to wait like a month to get it from china, Also some sellers will give you a better deal on 2 keys. The techstream cable works best with 32bit windows (you can find the latest drivers on GOOGLE). Video of some things techstream can do
Let us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts