Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After removing roof rack to clean debris with water, stereo only works when moving. Also works when parked if I roll a certain amount. Seems to be connected to wheel speed or position? sensor. Please help...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I can't see how those two are related? Sounds like a wire is loose. I would take the radio out to see if any wires are loose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's all I did before the trouble. Checked for water intrusion today, found damp headliner that's about it. Stereo has that under water sound unless I stop at the right place like roulette, sound is choppy through acceleration smoothes out somewhat at higher speeds, best at a stop. Got a p0500, p1578, c1201 & 4x4 lights and traction lights after using steering wheel controls for channel change. They all reset, and rav runs fine just sound trouble???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replies. You seem confident. Erroneous codes??? Replace one part at a time? Seems to point to the amp from my research on this site. I dug the amp out, sits under rr roof rack mount but no sign of water. Read similar problems described but without codes.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Somehow you got water in a wiring harness connector. The vehicle speed sensor signal is used by the audio system to regulate the volume according to speed. Also, the VSS is used by the NAV system to prevent using certain functions while in motion. Finally, there is a wire in the audio wiring harness that mutes the audio. It is used to mute the music when a bluetooth phone call is in progress. Somehow these wires are partially shorted together by the water and interacting. That's my best guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very informative and reasonable. I gutted most of the interior today no sign of water at units or even under roof rack mounts under headliner. Can you think of any other locations to look. I just bought this a couple months ago so I have very little knowledge of toyotas. I'm a GM convert.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Very informative and reasonable. I gutted most of the interior today no sign of water at units or even under roof rack mounts under headliner. Can you think of any other locations to look. I just bought this a couple months ago so I have very little knowledge of toyotas. I'm a GM convert.
I sent you a private message yesterday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found it, F/R connector bank under glovebox behind moulding. The lower connector got wet. Started to lose remote lock too. Thanks to DL175 and JuneBug. Hope I can return the favor someday.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Found it, F/R connector bank under glovebox behind moulding. The lower connector got wet. Started to lose remote lock too. Thanks to DL175 and JuneBug. Hope I can return the favor someday.
If you have water leaking then you may have a problem with the cowl. This problem may happen again then. There is a recall on the cowl in some areas which is related to wiper arm linkage recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have water leaking then you may have a problem with the cowl. This problem may happen again then. There is a recall on the cowl in some areas which is related to wiper arm linkage recall.
Thanks, caught that while cleaning the the cowl a couple weeks ago. That hood had fallen off so I repaired it with help from this site. I've been keeping an eye on that after rains but seems fine, cabin filter stays dry. I'll look into the recall. I think I should have taped off the roof mounts before cleaning, I only replaced the bolts after removal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Thanks, caught that while cleaning the the cowl a couple weeks ago. That hood had fallen off so I repaired it with help from this site. I've been keeping an eye on that after rains but seems fine, cabin filter stays dry. I'll look into the recall. I think I should have taped off the roof mounts before cleaning, I only replaced the bolts after removal. Thanks again.
So you removed the roof rack cover and strayed it with water so that explains why there is water is inside. I took the cross bars off mine a few weeks ago and I just wiped it down with a cloth. I can't see that area that dirty enough to use a hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you removed the roof rack cover and strayed it with water so that explains why there is water is inside. I took the cross bars off mine a few weeks ago and I just wiped it down with a cloth. I can't see that area that dirty enough to use a hose.
Somehow the previous owner lost the center trim between the mounts and the mounts collected a lot of debris. Sometimes I tend to be a little too invasive when cleaning a new to me vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
3 Participants
Daniel Frank
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing