Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, did a drain and refill on the transmission. I read somewhere the full level on dipstick should be at 150-170 F temperature. Prior to drain and refill I installed a Scangauge II. One day the temperature got up to 170F (some city and highway) and level was at the full mark. Recently I did a 60 mile trip on a 84 degree day and the temperature read 190F. At my destination I decided to check the level and it was 1/4" above the top full mark on the dipstick. Should that be?? Can't find any info on internet related to ATF temperature versus oil level on dipstick. Can someone help me.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
You should be checking the transmission fluid level while the car is running. You may have over filled your transmission oil if it is past the full mark.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Probably nothing to worry about, as the fluid warms up, it will expand. Having fluid 1/4 higher than max isn't optimal, but you can easily drain a bit through the pan to a more desired level. I use to see temps above 200F before i installed a 30K TruCool trans cooler. After that, never saw temps above 180F.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
To expand on DL175s post, the trans should be checked as follows: drivetrain fully warmed to normal operating temperature. Drive it maybe 5-8 miles or so. Park on level ground, engine running in Park, pull out dipstick and wipe off a couple of times then take a reading. Should be right around the full/hot mark. Your 1/4" high reading might be because of hotter than normal temps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts